Putting Game Screen Shot

Golf Forums - TSG sponsors Disabled Golfer Paul Houghton....

TSG sponsors Disabled Golfer Paul Houghton.... Options
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 2:44:47 PM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
Handicap: 0
UK
Pro Member

Having got to know many disabled golfers since its launch, The Social Golfer have made it a priority to promote equality and understanding among golfers of all levels, gender and disability and the team feel this could be the first of many associations with disabled golfers. 

In previous years the community have raised over £3k for disabled golfers at their ‘Major’ events. 

However, despite this very humble effort to raise the profile of disability sports in the UK, there is still a huge job to do in changing attitudes and thesocialgolfer.com want to be at the heart of this initiative.

Paul lost his leg suddenly sixteen years ago in a work accident whereby his leg was amputated above the knee. However, being the gritty character that he is, Paul decided to take up golf. He bought himself some clubs, a Electrokart (one-seater buggy) some lessons and joined his local nine hole course. He later joined the Disabled Golf Association and has now represented his country 12 times, playing of a respectable handicap of 16.

As part of the sponsorship, TSG will be hosting a blog with Paul’s experiences at EDGA and DGA events on the website and his progress will also be promoted in their monthly newsletter every month. 

And his quest starts this weekend at the Spainish Disabled Open!

In addition, the TSG team will be also distributing this content through their social media channels and beyond.

Help us to raise awareness of disablity sport by sharing this post on your social media feeds....

PLEASE SHARE THIS LINK:

www.facebook.com/thesocialgolfer/photos

#GoPaul

Ian & The TSG Team

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and shoes

#2 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2017 9:51:46 AM
Paul Houghton
Paul Houghton
Handicap: 16
Essex
Pro Member

Dear TSGers,
Well bit of an eventful day yesterday, it started at 4.00 am when a lorry jack-knifed closing the A120, eventually arrived at Southend Airport with minutes to spare.
Arrived in Malaga at 9.30 am it was raining & I mean pouring!
My name was not on the pick up list so I had to get a cab! Practice session was booked for 12.20pm it was still raining!
Shot 46 on front nine had a few pars on back nine ...walked through a few holes!
Came in at 5pm soaked, I'd left my waterproof trousers in the airing cupboard at home!
Had tea (a pot) with the EDGA president Tony Bennett interesting discussion.....
However, it's still raining this morning & the forecast is not good.
I have attached my order of play, I'm in group 16. My driving was good but without any run, the course played long.
I'll send an update tomorrow....
Keep on keeping on!
Paul
Paul Houghton
Paul

Golf gear drying out!!
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2017 8:33:18 PM
Brigitte Lockwo...
Brigitte Lockwood
Handicap: 28
Middlesex
Pro Member

Interesting read.  Hope the weather improves & that your Day will be less stressful .
Play well & "keep looking above the flag" .
Brigitte
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:45:20 AM
Paul Houghton
Paul Houghton
Essex
Pro Member

Well yesterday was ok, shot one less than my practice round carding a net 80, 8 shots off the lead.
No rain which was a joy! Was a bit unlucky as the later groups ran into a gale coming off the sea.
The 16th was brutal, cost me a treble bogey when I tried to approach using a lofted club!
Scores are in but no handicap has been adjusted yet ...I reckon I might be about 15th, so not bad out of field of 40.
All to play for tomorrow.
It's a beautiful course Paradores with stunning sea views, but when the tide turns the wind is in your face.
I played with a 15 handicapper from Madrid today, lovely guy but he had two or three bad holes killing his score.
The greens are the fastest I've played on for at least a year, running at about 11 or12 on the stimp metre if your putting with the wind you just have to touch it.
The hotel is very well laid out and you can drive your buggy to your room door...if your on the ground floor!
I'm sure I've got a better score in me, if it's a bit quieter wind wise I reckon I can break 90, you just have to be so accurate with your approach and putting.
Out for a meal last with the British contingent. PS picked up a good John Daly & Tiger Woods story....but unfortunately it can only be told verbally !
Paul Houghton
Paul
Scores before handicap
#5 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 10:47:28 AM
Paul Houghton
Paul Houghton
Essex
Pro Member

Yesterday was tough!
Out in second group 9.10 am. Confronted with heavy rain. Played with Finnish one armed champion (he plays off 😎. Parred 2 sinking a 40ft putt for par after a double at 1.
By 9 the rain had stopped but a gale had arrived! 10 & 11 were tough, my foot broke off my prosthetic at 11 leading to a major delay, I had tools and after 10 minutes continued, I took ten. It killed my round.
Still my playing colleague shot 85 and me 107 but the conditions were brutal.

Juan Postigo Arca won the tournament shooting gross 72, off 0.5.
He had three birdies in the last 5 holes! He is an above amputee like me (right leg). Shooting gross 72!!
I loved the experience and will continue to compete in a senior vain, but Juan and his ilk have taken disabilty golf to a new level!
Thanks for reading and hopefully next time I'll have some silverwear to shout about!

Paul Houghton
Paul
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:03:27 PM
Brigitte Lockwo...
Brigitte Lockwood
Handicap: 28
Middlesex
Pro Member

Well done Paul to brave the elements in not so sunny Spain.......
Hope the leg/foot get repaired so you can properly use it.
All the very best 
Brigitte