I've played here a handful of times, but this is probably the best I've seen the course. The greens, tees, and especially the fairways, were just in exceptional condition. The fairways were like carpets, and as good as any I've ever seen.
The course itself is a mainly a mix of longer and shorter par 4's (there aren't many medium length par 4's), three par 3's, and a single par 5. From the yellows anyway.
Keep it on the fairways and you'll set yourself up for a decent round, but the rough is quite penal if you find it (like I did). The fairways are generally fairly wide though. I can imagine that in the winter the course will play far easier, as the course is fairly open and the rough is a big part of its defences.
The clubhouse and facilities are pretty classy too, so I can't imagine anyone not enjoying their round here.
Gale force wind gives Dummer a real Links feel.....
Dummer Golf Course is a pleasant & challenging "open" course designed by Peter Alliss, some 20 years old (thats the course), built on chalk so drainage is excellent, very good for winter play as no trolley ban, no temporary Tees or matts.
There are no steep hills to climb, the walking is easy. It reminds me of Hurtmore (another of Peter Alliss's design) on a much grander scale with lots more challenges, as follows:
1. canyon type dips
2. lunar type mounds
3. four lakes strategically placed
4. the largest bunker in Hampshire, Hole 14 Par 3, the very large bunker is of a square shape, has a carry of well over 100 yards depending on the Tee used and one is allowed to ground the club (local rule), should one be unfortunate to land on the large beach !
5. fairways very open, wide, in good condition as the drainage is excellent.
6. Greens were good, a little frozen (1cm down), some had standing water because of the downpour last night.
7. The bunkers are absolutely fantastic: their shapes, their depth, their numbers: a true Peter Alliss design. But I never visited any !!!!
8. Some areas are left in a natural state to provide for the wild life + fauna. Must be very pretty in the Spring.
Today is actually a HISTORICAL date in the TSG's attendance (correct me if I am wrong): more women attendees that men... Girl power coming to TSG, watch out! I think Matt S. enjoyed this historical day (so did we) despite battling with the gale force wind during the round and a mini storm on the finishing hole. We had an international team: Scottish, Danish, French, English.
Some favourite holes (this is my Trademark):
- The 14th, PAR 3 described above.
- The 5th Par 3: tee shot over a large lake (very petty) with a carry of 125/154 yards, slightly raised green with 4 large bunkers at each cardinal point. Club selection on a very windy day was important.
- The 6th Par 4, the toughest hole on the course, gradually upill, large crater, canyon type recession on the left (Matt got lost in there I think, but the little white ball popped back up on the fairway), some amazing shaped bunkers (5 in all) by a green with tricky putts.
- The 18th, the only Par 5 on the course (on the Yellow yardage), 495/535 yards. A nice finishing hole which we played in a mini sleet storm. A large lake to avoid on the right, the shape of its dog leg. A raised/sloping green with 3 attractive, not too big bunkers.
A very enjoyable round despite a low score, my putts were not going in....
ProShop: very friendly welcome, we managed some special last minute discount. Very select golfwear. A coffee dispensing machine should the Bar not be opened.
Lovely Clubhouse, modern, light, a big open fire, several lounges. The best coffee around (not cheap but worth it, I can still taste it). The food offered seemed appetising too. A pleasant outside terrace, not sampled the seating outthere today..
Very accessible & modern changing rooms.
Several well laid out car parks.
Huge driving range, only £1 fo 25 shiny practice balls.
Very specific short game area between driving range & 1st tee.
Easy access from the M3 (J7), 300 yards from the exit roundabout.
I believe this Club may be willing to accommodate some preferred rates for TSGers, needs to be investigated some more by the Team!!!!!!
This is my very own personal account of the course, the day out, etc...
Dummer GC offer a "Players Card" giving a discount, accept County Card only, no other cards.
Can't wait to return, hopefully on not such a windy day, always better 2nd time around.
Highly recommend the experience.