Green Haworth Golf Club

Read 0 reviews of Green Haworth Golf Club

Address: Green Haworth, N/A, Accrington, BB5 3SL, United Kingdom
Rating: 0.0
Rating: 0.0
Opened: 1914
Holes: 9
Type: Heathland
Length: 5556 yards
Par: 67
Rating/SSS:
Slope:
Green Fees: £15 Midweek;No visitors March / Sept. Weekend
Offers: See website for details.
Tel No: N/A
Location: View Map
Website: www.greenhaworthgolf.co.uk
   
Image of the grounds at Green Haworth Golf Club

Clubhouse/Hospitality Rating: 0.0
Quality of Course Rating: 0.0
Practice Facilities Rating: 0.0
Value for Money Rating: 0.0

A Word From Our Sponsors


Regulars at this course  (1)
Handicap: 28
Groups  (0)
Currently no groups at this course
Course Leaderboard  (0)
Currently no scores entered for this course
Scheduled Games  (0)
Currently no games scheduled

Green Haworth Golf Club Map and Location


More information about Green Haworth Golf Club

Facilities
Bar, Catering, Changing rooms, Golf practice facilities inc driving range
Description



Formally established in 1914 Green Haworth Golf Club owes its origins to the Rileys, a local influential business family with an estate of land and property. Looking for social sporting recreation the Riley family began playing golf on the grazing moorland of Green Haworth. As the Green Haworth Golf Club was then formed, a mere thirty individuals made up this exclusive membership.  The early course comprised of a simple six holes with the members changing rooms located in a cottage on Schoolhouse Lane, some 400 yards from the first tee.


Over the following forty years the course grew to nine holes, however three of these (the first, eighth and ninth holes) were later reclaimed by the local farmer at Springvale Farm, from whom the club leased the land. and it was these that were returned to active farmland.

In 1957 the Captain Alec Denton with his Greens Committee under the direction of chairman Mr Allan Skelton, acquired fourteen acres of neighbouring land to create three new holes (6th, 7th & 8th) to replace those which where lost. During that winter the members worked on extending the remaining course. Led by grounds men Joe Morris and Alan Stuttard, volunteers from the club moved hundreds of tons of stone and soil from the site. According to local newspaper reports from the following year, many square yards of turf were transplanted to create the greens and tees, incorporating features of the existing moorland namely the deep quarries and wild shrubs and heather. Once completed the new nine hole course had longer holes than the previous incarnations and held a S.S.S. of 67.

In 1958 Green Haworth Golf Club was officially re-opened on the first Sunday afternoon of the new season, by the captain of the time Mr R. H. (Bob) Whittaker; the first competition played on the new course was a four-ball, or ‘better-ball’ event. The winners were J. Dearden, and E. M. Whittaker.

Green Haworth Golf Club Scorecards

Add scorecard

There are currently no scorecards for this course

Add scorecard

Review's of Green Haworth Golf Club

There are no reviews for Green Haworth Golf Club

Played here recently? Join The Social Golfer and then Write your review.




Putting Game Screen Shot