Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Stableford Points Scoring System

Stableford Points Scoring System Options
#1 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2008 5:55:00 PM
Handicap: 0
Essex
Pro Member

A few people have asked what the 'Stableford Points Scoring System' is, so an introduction...

Stableford Points is a scoring system developed by an Englishman, Dr Stableford, back (I think) about 1930. He wanted a scoring system so that people could still be in the game even if they scored a 10 on one hole. So he developed a 'per hole' points scoring system which, when you add it up over the 9 or 18 holes you get your 'Stableford Points Total' for the round and that's what you compare against your playing partners rather than just total score.

So, how does it work?

For every hole, shoot your score (your 'gross score') then take off your handicap allowance to get your 'nett score'. Then use the Nett Score to work out your Stableford Points for the hole:

- Double Eagle                  = 5 pts
- Eagle                                = 4 pts
- Birdie                                = 3 pts
- Par                                     = 2 pts
- Bogey                                = 1 pts
- Double bogey or worse = 0 pts

eg playing off 18 I shoot a 5 on a par 4. I take my handicap allowance (1 shot) off my 5 to give me a 'nett score' of 4 - hey presto I got a 'nett par' which is worth 2 points.

Add up all your points for the 18 holes and there's your Stableford Points Total for the round.

The beauty of the game is that if you have a disaster on the 1st hole you can pick your ball up and walk to the 2nd tee knowing that you may have scored 0 points but there's another 17 holes to go so you're not out of the game yet...

There is another version called 'America Stableford' where you can gain or lose Stableford Points (leading to much bigger swings in the points totals) but that's another story.

#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:41:00 AM
Handicap: 10
Australia

The most Important aspect of Stableford........and not the "beauty of it" is the fact you can pick up.  Most social clubs will play a stroke event in conjunction with a points scoring system like Stableford however it was introduced so that players who could not score WOULD pick up and move on to the next tee. The whole idea was to speed up a 4 hour game!

#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:33:00 AM
Handicap: 28
Kent

Yep, I've played in society games before which were Stableford competitions deliberately to keep the game moving but where some people were taking 10 or 12 shots on a hole, determined to finish, which is admirable but frustrating for the ever growing queue of people behind...

#4 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:08:00 PM
Handicap: 10
Australia

Peter,   Beside my Golf Tour Business here Down Under......I also play in a social group from a Pub.  We only go as far as a 10 for mathematical reasons.  Makes it easier to add up the card.......after that its too many.

Also note I was not "smarting" at the original author of the article.  

If you pay your money you should be entitled to play out the hole.....as long as you finish in daylight. 

#5 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:04:00 PM
Handicap: 28
Kent

Hi Rod, certainly envious of you guys at the moment, it's a dark november here in the UK which means dark by 5pm (on a good day), getting worse daily now until the winter equinox on 21st december (when it can be dark by 3:30pm!) but then it's uphill to spring & summer