Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - New clubs

New clubs Options
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:40:46 PM
Handicap: 23
W Yorks

Hi all, I'm considering getting a new set of clubs (will be lightly used 2nd hand more than likely). Maybe from GolfBidder

My issue is that I have no idea what I'm looking for!

How do you know what will suit your game and what clubs are right for you?

Simple question open for many perceptions, I'm sure, but I walk into a golf shop and have no idea which to look at or waggle about a bit... 

Currently using some wilson fat shaft and they're ok but they have dented shafts and I picked them up at a low price as a stop gap until I got some nice ones.

Are there any rules about playing style and models of clubs? I'm a fairly big hitter but I do hook a bit here and slice a bit there!

Thanks in advance
Ed
#2 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2013 2:44:32 PM
Handicap: 19
Essex
Pro Member

Hi Ed,

I can't comment on the quailty of the clubs at GolfBidder as I dont know anyone who has bought from them. However, I would suggest nipping down to your local American Golf or Direct Golf or perhaps in your case Express Golf in Bradford, which wont be far from you. (ask for Jordan).

The main thing is to get some forgiving irons which should see you through to your mid teens. All of the brands with be able to provide you with good quailty clubs but alot is down to how they feel to you, in your hand.

A lot will depend on budget too (you get what you pay for) but make a point of hitting half a dozen different brands (if they have a range) and then wittle it down to a couple final choices. Then its just a question of which one you like the look of more. However, I would recommend not spending more than circa £300on a set of irons. And perhaps a £150 on a couple of hybrids (you wont regret it). And given that you are a bigger hitter anyway, I would leave off getting a Driver until you have gained some more confidence.

Alternatively, stick with what you have and spend the money of lessons! I often wonder how Tiger would score if he were playing with my five year old Mizuno's... something tells me he'd score a lot less than me, so its clearly not just  the clubs!!

Hope that helps...

Ian

#3 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2013 7:28:06 PM
Handicap: 28
Kent

Hi Ed

I looked on the golf bidder website a while ago as I was trying to kerb my expenditure on golf a little but actually I didn't think there was that much difference in their second hand and the prices in the likes of Direct Golf and American Golf.

I now decide what club I want and just wait until they have one of their many sales. Or trade ins. For instance when I got my Di11's I got £75 off for my cheap and nasty Dunlops I started with. They only cost me £120 with a bag, umbrella, hybrid and driver so I definitely got my money's worth.

Also if you look around in golf mags or subscribe to newsletters you often get vouchers from direct golf that if you spend £50 or £100 you get £10 or £20 off respectively. So £20 off your clubs and then another £20 off hybrids and driver if bought separately, putter etc.

they may be a few quid more expensive than second hand but you would normally get them fitted for free as well and the thrill of having new clubs. I don't think in fairness you would be any worse off.

#4 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2013 5:16:03 PM
Handicap: 11
Middlesex
Pro Member

Hi Ed,

If you're happy with the Wilsons other than the dented shafts, you could just have the clubs reshafted by a local pro/golf shop. New shafts will mean new grips and if the heads are in decent nick the clubs will feel close to new. If you fancy a change anyway, just have a look through the magazines or websites to see something you like the look of, then see if there's somewhere local that can fit you for them - a little longer or shorter, flatter or more upright, the right shaft flex and grip size coupled with clubs you like the look of can do wonders for confidence! Most of the manufacturers websites give an idea of which clubs are targeted at which handicap groups.

If you did get the Wilson's reshafted, whoever fits the new shafts will also be able to select a different shaft flex and adjust the length and lies for you, and fit grips perfect for you.

Good luck,
David
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:08:01 PM
Handicap: 5
London
Pro Member

Pro shops and even american golf often do price match, if you speak to the right person. 
My mate just purchased TaylorMade CB irons for £180.00 off E-Bay so thats always worth a look although you dont relly know what you will get in the post, I thinks its always best to go to a shop to try loads of clubs to see what works for you, and get fitted at the best price you can find.
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:19:21 PM
Handicap: 23
W Yorks

Thanks for all the tips and the time you've spent replying.
I appreciate the advice.

Held a few clubs since asking and the taylormade burner 2.0 set feels nice. Pushing  the shots right a bit when I hit them - no slice/fade, just set off at the wrong angle slightly, but they feel really nice.

I'll probably go along with those and get some lessons in too to rectify the issue.

Taking the plunge next week most likely but they will take some beating... Felt nicer than the ping, nike, callaways etc.

You're correct in saying that you won't know until you swing them and these felt very balanced and refined.

Thanks again!
Ed
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 6:26:56 PM
Kent

Message was deleted by User.
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 18, 2013 6:29:04 PM
Kent

Message was deleted by User.