Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Started pulling my irons - help appreciated

Started pulling my irons - help appreciated Options
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:02:00 AM
Handicap: 12
Kent

Any advice to stop pull shots? I've tried a few 'cures' such as making sure I'm lined up square, the club face is square etc. I'm pretty sure I'm not throwing from the top, but nearly all my irons from 7 down to SW are ending up 8-12 ft left of the target. If I try and push out to 1 o'clock it sometimes works, but I'm often rewarded with a shank! This has only happened recently, and my desperate practice has now added impressive distance to the pull shots! Is there any hope for me or shall I enrol in the knitting club?

#2 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:52:00 PM
Handicap: 28
Kent

Well I can't give you any advice other than to say I'd be more than happy with a shot 8-12ft left of target from a 3, 4 or 5 iron !

#3 Posted : Friday, March 28, 2008 9:43:00 AM
Kent
Pro Member

maybe you are setting up a little behind the ball so striking it late. Move your stance a little forward so moving the ball back and see what happens.  On the bright side though as with me these things come into the game and just as quickly go. Fallback position if it all does not work spend more time on the practice putting green with 8-12 foot putts!!

#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2008 10:11:00 PM
Handicap: 7
London

As long as the ball is not hooking, and just pulling you know the clubface is coming through square and your swing is coming in from the outside. All I can say is you should focus on the correct grip and getting on the right swing plane, of course combined with correct setup. I would really recommend using one of those really heavy swing trainers. I have got one and they really help you swing on the right plane and they come with a training grip to concrete the correct grip. You can also use them inside as they are pretty small. Good Luck!
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2008 11:14:00 AM
Kent
Pro Member

I agree the swing plane adds great value to practice. I bought one of those explaner machines and put it in my garage. It helped me initially but as with all things i stopped using it but will start again now i can see some sunny weather coming. It also works with a heavy club and makes sure you get the takeaway and follow through correct and if you get those two right your wrists are always in the correct position. Lacks the part about getting the grip right though