Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Custom fitting

Custom fitting Options
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2014 11:26:05 PM
Handicap: 19
Berkshire
Pro Member

I was just wondering whether anyone here has been custom fitted for their clubs, irons and/or woods, and whether they think it has been a success. I'd especially like to hear from 18+ handicappers, as in my head I imagine that those sorts of swings are far more random, and more likely to make purpose fitted clubs redundant. And I mean no offence to anyone with an 18+ handicap btw, as I have an 18 handicap and a swing that is very random :)
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:06:10 AM
Handicap: 15
East Sussex
Pro Member

Hi Nev,
I have just had a fitting for new Irons Best thing I have ever done wish I had done it years ago.
Make sure you go to a good pro where they have all the equipment, this will take into account your random swing.To give you some Idea my fitting took 1 1/2 hours It took aq little while to get use to them on the course but I am now hitting the ball straigther and longer. Go for it best of luck

#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:57:35 PM
Berkshire
Pro Member

Cheers, Roger. I am certainly thinking about it, I just need the confidence that it will actually help my game before shelling out the money, but it's likely that I will take the plunge soon.
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:32:09 AM
Handicap: 12
Pro Member

Hi Nev. If you thinking/wanting to play golf long term then I think custom fitting is a must. I received my custom fitting clubs 3 months ago and my scores have slowly been coming down. I would suggest though that if you do decide to get custom fitted, do not just go into one of the big golf stores and ask them to fit. I would recommend either going to a proper fitting centre or wait until a tour truck visits your local golf store driving range. Doing it directly with the manufacturer is far more in depth than with a sales assistant....

Also, do not listen to anyone stating that certain clubs are for low or high handicappers. This is just a general statement to cover their backs if you buy something and then find them difficult to hit. This is obviously just my opinion. 

Good luck.

#5 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2014 7:47:27 PM
Berkshire
Pro Member

Thanks Richard/Roger. It doesn't sound like you've had the clubs long, but did either of you ask about what would happen if you decided to tweak your swing or get a lesson? Are the clubs set up for you? Or are they set up for the swing that you take to the fitting? I guess it's a bit of both, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 1, 2014 5:50:05 PM
Pro Member

A proper custom fit should not really affect anything if you decide to tweak your swing. It is more about using the correct shaft with the correct head as well as more simple things like the lie angle or grip size. Some custom fits are more in depth than others. If you get custom fitted at one of the big retailers, you only really have a choice of what is in store and the manufacturer will change the lie angle and length. Done directly with the manufacturer will give you a lot more options. That is why I suggest waiting for one of the tour trucks to visit American Golf or look online to see where they have a custom fitting centre.
#7 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 9:25:38 AM
Pro Member

Nev - If you want to discuss this further, please feel free to send me an email....Will be more than happy to tell you my experience of club fitting..
#8 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 7:23:48 PM
Berkshire
Pro Member

Thanks, Richard. When I posted the question I was going through a hot spell on the course, which I thought would be a good time to consider new clubs. However, I've subsequently hit a horrid spell where I can barely pick the right club out of the bag, let alone hit anything straight with it. I will certainly take you up on your offer if I decide to go through with new clubs, but that's not likely to happen for a few weeks more at the earliest. Thanks again, though :)
#9 Posted : Friday, June 6, 2014 9:13:16 PM
Pro Member

No problem Nev. Just something else for you to consider; when I am going through a bad patch I have a lesson with a Pro to make sure I have not got into any bad habits. Worth doing....Have a nice weekend.
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 7, 2014 10:06:51 PM
Berkshire
Pro Member

Funny you should say that. I had a lesson yesterday that was booked at very short notice :)
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:03:02 PM
Handicap: 28
Merseyside

I've been taking lessons from a pro at Tandridge, and last week he did a custom fitting, made up half dozen clubs on the spot, and and I lost my slice immediately, and gained an extra 20 yards per club.I tried Mizunos and Yonex, and I picked up a set of Yonex irons and TaylorMade hybrids yesterday and will test them out this weekend.

Unbelievable improvement demonstrated within an hour, HAD to buy them.

PS Louis at Tandridge is an excellent teacher, and you don't have to be a member.

#12 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:10:01 PM
Handicap: 28
Middlesex
Pro Member

I am off to Ping fitting Centre in Gainsborough in a few weeks.  Will report as to whether it makes a difference or not.......Will also play the 2 courses now owned by Ping.... Watch this space
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:09:06 AM
Handicap: 13
Essex
Pro Member

I can't agree more with what is stated above.  I lost 30lb in weight a few years ago, what a difference that made I needed a fitting as my swing changed massively.
Lie of your clubs needs to be reckoned every season or so.  I am going to have mine checked this winter.
I agree keep away from American golf etc for fitting and use a recognised club maker.
Talk to your local pro they should be able to recommend a good fitter.