Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Taking golf clubs on a flight ...

Taking golf clubs on a flight ... Options
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:26:25 PM
Handicap: 28
Cheshire
Pro Member

Help! The airline is asking me, am I taking half set or full set ?  Can anyone explain? 
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:33:22 AM
Handicap: 12
Pro Member

Hi Steve. If you are taking more than 7 clubs, it would constitute as a full set. 7 clubs or less would be half a set. Some airlines have different prices for full and half sets. All depends on what type of courese you will be playing. hope this helps.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 17, 2015 10:14:56 AM
Handicap: 11
West of London
Pro Member

I assume it's a low cost carrier? I work for an airline, luckily one that allows clubs as an addition to your baggage allowance....your carrier is after more money!!! they will probably charge you a hefty excess luggage fee for taken them Low cost make their money in other ways and prove to be higher cost in the end
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2015 12:25:00 PM
Handicap: 18
Essex
Pro Member

Most airlines have a 20kg allowance. I always pack a lightweight bag with a full set, and remove all but absolute essentials, and minimum balls. I then put it In a golf travel bag and pack my clothing around it.
advantage is that the bag travels as oversize luggage at no extra cost and is usually first off on arrival...or sent to a special oversize luggage counter, and is generally well looked after. 
Not sure if this works with budget airlines though.
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:08:30 PM
Handicap: 27
Middlesex
Pro Member

I have taken golf clubs to France & Spain many times with BA, my golf bag (put inside a golf travel bag with wheels) was part of my luggage allowance (so no extra), like Alan said, I also managed to stuff all my pockets with clothing, toiletries, golf shoes, spare balls, etc. Then I have my cabin bag & handbag for the more precious & delicates items.

The golf travel bag goes to the out of gauge/oversized drop off and is collected from a special point at the other end.  So far, so good.

But BA may change their baggage policy. So read the T&C

As I live  near Heathrow, I try to avoid Gatwick, Luton & Stansted.  
I am also lucky enough to have free parking @ LHR, as a perk of my long serving years with BAA Heathrow.