Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Ball plugged in rough 10 yards right of the green, half ball in the ground, rule?

Ball plugged in rough 10 yards right of the green, half ball in the ground, rule? Options
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2015 3:16:52 AM
Handicap: 12
Cheshire

Hello all,

So I did some research into this, and it seems there has to be a 'local rule' in place for you to be able to take a free drop when your ball is plugged in wet ground, not on the fairway. Is it taken for granted that in winter months with wet ground conditions you can take a free drop when your ball is practically unplayable but not on the fairway? 

I was in this situation on a hole playing solo, trying to stick to the rules. Unsure I tried to play it, ball shot out low over the green into the bunker, played out and 2 putted, double bogey. 

Thanks all

#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 11:48:03 AM
Handicap: 18
Kent
Pro Member

According to the rules you wouldn't be able to take relief in the rough from an embedded ball. However, if either casual water was present, or the golf club in question adopts a local winter rule for example, then relief maybe taken in accordance with those rulings.  Hope this helps.
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2015 10:44:38 AM
Handicap: 0
Essex

Hi, 

You are both right in that the club needs to adopt a local rule to allow dropping the ball in the rough. 

In my expereince most clubs have this as part of their winter rules - always best to check with the club (or the pro there) to make sure, but 99% of the time there will be a local rule in place to allow a free drop from an embedded ball during the winter

Andrew
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2015 2:29:38 PM
Handicap: 11
Middlesex
Pro Member

#5 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 4:48:42 AM
Handicap: 18
Essex
Pro Member

No such thing as 'rough' in the rules of golf...it is described as closely mown or otherwise. Rule I believe is that if a ball is plugged in its own pit mark, through the green.. it may be lifted, cleaned and placed no nearer the hole, without penalty. The term through the green refers to the playing area between tee and green, regardless of the quality of the grass...there is also no mention of the term 'fairway' as far as I am aware, but things do change.