Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Do Golf Clubs make visiting golfers feel welcome?

Poll Question : Do Golf Clubs make visiting golfers feel welcome? (Poll is closed)
Choice Votes Statistics
Hardly ever... 2 25 %
Now and again... 1 12 %
Not as often I'd like... 4 50 %
More often than not... 1 12 %
Always... 0 0 %

Do Golf Clubs make visiting golfers feel welcome? Options
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:42:48 PM
Handicap: 0
Essex
Pro Member

Dear TSGers,

It occurred to us here at TSG HQ this week, that when 'one' visits a restaurant and parts with 'ones' hard earned cash (circa £30-40 a head) it is highly likely that someone will take your coat when you arrive, call you sir or madam for the few hours you are there, pour your drinks for you and basically attend to your every need..... 

...yet sometimes, when you visit a golf club you are not a member of and spend a similar amount, you can be treated as an interloper or necessary evil and the staff can be at best attentive and at worst irreverent.

Let us know what you think and if we can, we will try to get your views published by the wider golf press.

You decide...

The TSG Team
------------------------

#2 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:06:48 PM
Handicap: 15
East Sussex
Pro Member

I feel that this Question should be in two parts. As i Find generally The Pro shops where you pay your money treat like you have trod in something and have no right to be there. Where as the staff in the club house's are generally more helpful and welcoming.

But overall I think that most clubs could improve their customer relations and make us all feel welcome

#3 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2013 6:43:18 PM
Handicap: 19
Essex
Pro Member

Ditto Ditto Roger I agree with you 100%
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2013 12:50:24 PM
Handicap: 14
Essex

Most golf clubs are pretty good, and treat you well.

I do remember one time when I phoned Weald Park GC (now called Brentwood GC).

When I asked the person on the phone if they had a practice ground he replied, "We do, but it's for members!"

Now, to me, when I pay my green fee I am a member for the time I'm there, so I should be allowed to use the practice ground.

In todays financial climate I don't think golf clubs can be to picky about who plays their course.

Russ
#5 Posted : Monday, December 2, 2013 8:22:58 AM
Handicap: 18
Kent
Pro Member

I hope my guests at Royal Blackheath have been happy with their welcome
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:48:18 PM
Handicap: 12
North London
Pro Member

At Abridge on Monday we were expecting a free pint after the game. In fact, according to the staff, we'd already had the free drink - coffee with our breakfast. 

So for the cost of a few cups of coffee they managed to convey to a golf society that they could not care less about us.

It's possible that the error was on our side but if a group had just dropped £400 in my business I would have given out a few free drinks and shut up about it.

#7 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2013 11:00:15 PM
Kent
Pro Member

Steve what was the package and how many of you?  Most clubs offer maybe coffee, bacon roll or breakfast - or lunch - or dinner with the 18 holes, all subject to what kind of day you are looking for,  but I doubt they would offer free drinks.  Just curious to know - how many of you were there and what was the package, i.e. per person - 18 holes and?
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 8:45:09 AM
North London
Pro Member

I don't know the details but there was definitely a free drink agreed - that was not in dispute. The club staff said that when some of us had started pouring ourselves coffee in the morning that we had agreed that the coffee would be the free drink instead of a pint after the game. Nobody present after the game remembered that conversation but it might be true. (Some of us actually did get a free pint because the bar staff didn't know about the coffee thing.)

My point is that it doesn't really matter. If a society brought 20 people to my golf club and spent £400, if they genuinely think they should get a free drink it makes commercial sense to give them the free drink. The cost of the drinks is a lot lower than the cost of losing that business.

#9 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 6:58:36 PM
Bedfordshire
Pro Member

I definitely did not hear anything about the coffee being in lieu of the free drink later.
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 8:52:08 PM
Kent
Pro Member

£20 for a society day is a great deal.  Our society days are usually based on 18 holes, breakfast or lunch or dinner and around £40-£50....if you know a member ;-) and all depending on numbers....however, watch the TSG space for more news about Royal Blackheath.
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:11:41 PM
Handicap: 27
Middlesex
Pro Member

Hello, I am back....

My experience within my 2 years in the TSG has been a good one, except for Theydon Bois where I felt "not welcome" as a Visitor.  As it happened, most of our Group had the same cold, unfriendly reception from the Pro-Shop.  I am glad to say that after reading our TSG reviews & a few words from ex-members, Theydon Bois golf club has a "board meeting" and now we have a warm welcome when we visit !!!!!!

Apart from the above episode, as a Visitor with an inquisitive mind, I have always had a warm reception in the ProShops & a friendly service with a genuine smile in the Clubhouses I have visited.  In fact I always make a point of arriving early to spent time in the Proshop, explore the facilities offered and I try to meet some Members too & some people behind the scenes (greenkeepers, managers etc.).  When I mention the word "Reviews", it seems to bring a different kind of interest.

I could list many Golf clubs, but the most recent ones with a 1st class service and warmest welcome were: Eastbourne Downs, Tenterden, Highwoods, Woodlands Manor, South Essex , Coulsdon Manor and Purley Downs (not played the course as yet), Le Maritim (Mauritius), Colorado (La Reunion)

I believe Visitors should receive a warm welcome as it will pay dividends for the Club concerned and may even bring some new members.....

The End.
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:52:01 PM
Handicap: 16
Essex
Pro Member

I have paid green fees - either socially or part of society or even in competitions at a lot of courses around the M25.  I agree with some that Pro-shops can be a bit aloof, and most clubhouses can be very attentive... 

I can count on the fingers of 1 hand the number of times I have been made to feel unwelcome by pro-shop staff, about the same number of times that I have witnessed member animosity.  I tend to enagage with club staff - for a variety of reasons (sometimes we even get a discount just by asking nicely) and the odd free drink.

I think that we can all remember being in club houses where there haven't been many members present... in which case social golfers and green fee payers are generating revenue and helping to fund to club in some small way.

I have found that all it takes to get a better level of service/welcome/reception is to demosntrate a mutual respect, show that you enjoy being well-looked after, always leave compliments where they are deserved and enjoy whatever is on offer at the time.

There are clubs where courses are not brilliant but the overall experience makes up for any grass short comings... feedback can be delivered at the appropriate moment and it has worked for me in the past where I point out that something might have been better, and sometimes it results in a change.  

Quid pro Quo...  treat the golfclubs well and they tend to take care of you...

#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:07:20 AM
Nevada

I think anymore that most golf courses just want your money. That's all that important to them. It's all about getting enouh revenue to stay open.
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 11:51:29 AM
Kent
Pro Member

Golf clubs and some clubhouses literally drink money - so that's a no brainer.  As for being rude - no excuse.  Every golfer has a choice and if a bad experienced gets a bad post, the club may suffer.  It is in their best interest to avoid that.
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:38:00 PM
Handicap: 28
Pro Member

A decent welcome from the pro shop makes a nice difference when you play an unfamiliar course but goodness don't some pros need to improve their social skills.  It must be frustrating to be teaching and selling Mars Bars to duffers like me instead of playing on tour but they did choose golf as a career and a few basic meeting and greeting steps would go a long way to encourage me at least to play the course again

They could at least ask your name before they take your money! 

Pointing out where the toilets / changing rooms / bar or coffee shop is would be great, ditto practice area.

Golf clubs do sometimes  have dress codes on and off the course, the pro shop could tell us

A few freebies along with your scorecard would be a good idea, pencils, a decent course map, ball marker.

A little course info ie ground under repair would be helpful.

The nice thing about playing TSG rounds is that the TSG organisers like Brigitte  have obviously done their homework and sorted out any problems prior to us arriving.  Good for golf generally I think