Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - £20 to use TSG worth it or not?

2 Pages <12
£20 to use TSG worth it or not? Options
#21 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2011 3:34:03 PM
Handicap: 27
Bucks
Pro Member

I do not believe there are enough games on TSG  to justify charging £20. I organise about 15 games per year but could well use another (fee) site or simply e-mails to arrange them. I join maximum 4 games per year simply because there aren't enough games  so £20 for 4 games sounds  expensive to me Another danger is that when these charges are in place there will be even less games and this site could go the VGS path.

I think  the way forward is to encourage people to organise more games rather charge them for using the site.

Janusz
#22 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2011 4:45:14 PM
Handicap: 17
Essex

janusz holender wrote:
 I do not believe there are enough games on TSG  to justify charging £20. I organise about 15 games per year but could well use another (fee) site or simply e-mails to arrange them. I join maximum 4 games per year simply because there aren't enough games  so £20 for 4 games sounds  expensive to me Another danger is that when these charges are in place there will be even less games and this site could go the VGS path.

I think  the way forward is to encourage people to organise more games rather charge them for using the site.

Janusz

i agree with a lot of what your saying and think getting more people to organise more games is a MUST.
that said its not without its costs running a site like this and i know that revenue can be hard to come by
so i think that some way of making a donation (if you wish) could be set up and a tag added to your avatar
showing that you are a supporter of the site could be the way forward ??
#23 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:35:36 PM
Handicap: 20
surrey
Pro Member

This site is what we make it ,maybe a guide to help first timers list games so that they get more interest .. more people rating courses. to see where people want to play. i think the price of a green fee is a small price to pay. i will be investing in this site and active in making it work. 
#24 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 2:10:56 PM
Handicap: 18
Essex
Pro Member

Personally, I think it's a bit rich to complain about a £20 fee for a site which brings people together in this great game, particularly when people have used it free of charge for a few years, have met up with people who they would not have otherwise met up with, and people they continue to play with. 
I don't know if people are aware of the time and effort it takes to maintain a website such as this. Having been involved in IT for over 30 years, from the good old Sperry Univac days, I can tell you, it ain't cheap.

#25 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 2:43:56 PM
Handicap: 18
Bedfordshire
Pro Member

Alan Haywood wrote:
Personally, I think it's a bit rich to complain about a £20 fee for a site which brings people together in this great game, particularly when people have used it free of charge for a few years, have met up with people who they would not have otherwise met up with, and people they continue to play with. 
I don't know if people are aware of the time and effort it takes to maintain a website such as this.

Hear, hear Alan. I'll be paying up shortly.

Even if you only attend half a dozen games, they are games that you would not have known about otherwise.

jb
#26 Posted : Friday, May 20, 2011 7:31:27 PM
Handicap: 20
surrey
Pro Member

Well said

#27 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 5:33:08 PM
Handicap: 11
Essex
Pro Member

Out of most people on the TSG, being a single parent carer means I think I have less disposable income than most. but £25 for the TSG membership is in my book, very worth while. 

The meeting of many new people every year, and by joining games posted by others, I have played courses I may not have known existed without this membership and use of the site.

Obviously as anyone would, I'd prefer it free but come on, where can you get quality like this for less. I think we do quite well from the TSG,,,,, thanks guys