Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - A taste of GOLFY, perfect for the nomad golfer

A taste of GOLFY, perfect for the nomad golfer Options
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2015 8:39:02 PM
Handicap: 28
Middlesex
Pro Member

GOLFY network covers select golf courses, some with on site or nearby accommodation, mainly in France but also in Spain, Luxembourg, Germany & Switzerland. The organisation is 25 years old this year and growing strong thanks to its dynamic & vibrant team and its supporters.

GOLFY cards give various discount levels depending on your choice. One also earns "yards" (a bit like Sainsbury or Tesco Points) each time money is spent on green fees, buggy, drinks/food, accommodation or on anything tempting from the Pro shops.

Well, I was the lucky winner of a GOLFY "Indigo" card at last year London Golf Show.

I am certainly making good use of my card whilst holidaying in Normandy and Brittany.  Later in the year, I shall visit South Western France (Gascony) & Norther Spain (Costa Brava) sampling more GOLFY places. So it is perfect for me as I consider myself a "nomad" golfer.

So far, I played:

1. CLECY in an area of outstanding natural beauty, the Suisse Normande.

2. LA FRESLONNIERE in a century-old forest on the grounds of a beautiful Chateau.

3. LES ORMES: I was seduced by its charm, elegance, class, high maintenance.  In fact I discovered this place years before I played golf, when I stayed in one of their Tree. House accommodation.

4. GRANVILLE SUR MER: Links designed by Colt in Christian Dior's native town.

5.  LES ROCHERS SEVIGNE where the 19th hole faces the Chateau where famous French writer Madame de Sevigne once lived

6. ST CAST LE GULDO: Links built by the Brits in front of a majestic Art Deco hotel, The Celtic, now a private residence. Outstanding sea views of Pen Guen bay from the course and the 19th hole.  I was so attracted by the panorama that I returned there for Lunch with some friends to admire the views.

Hard to chose a favourite, but Les Ormes is top of my list. Special treat too: a private helicopter....

I shall review all the above courses when back in Twickenham as my IPad does not cope with all my editing.

GOLFY places have a relaxed atmosphere on well-chosen locations, a warm welcome awaits and very often a free  course planner is offered, always useful for my "short" reviews.

THE END....