Golf Forums - New Golf Rules

New Golf Rules Options
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:13:34 PM
Steve Rawlinson
Steve Rawlinson
Handicap: 13
North London
Pro Member

The R&A have announced a summary of changes to the rules which they plan to implement by Jan 2019.

You won't have to remove the flag from the hole any more. You can putt out with the flag in place.

You can repair spike marks and other damage to the green.

You can move loose impediements in hazards. You can ground your club (except right behind the ball in a bunker). 

You can drop the ball from much lower down.

You only get 3 minutes to look for a lost ball.

More here: http://www.randa.org/RulesModernisation

#2 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 10:37:33 AM
Linda Hooper
Linda  Hooper
Handicap: 21
Kent
Pro Member

Limiting the amount of times you can mark and align your ball before putting each shot, would be nice.
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:51:46 AM
Steve Rawlinson
Steve Rawlinson
Handicap: 13
North London
Pro Member

They are considering a 40 second limit per shot. I'm not sure if that would apply to putting but I agree it would be good. 40 seconds is plenty of time.

They are also advocating 'ready golf' for stroke play, something which is long overdue (and which most TSGers do anyway). 

#4 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 8:27:16 AM
Paul Langford
Paul Langford
Handicap: 16
Essex
Pro Member

Steve in my eyes all these rules should be implemented by us social golfers straight away, we need to speed up the time we are wasting out on the golf course with people F ing about, 5 hour rounds are killing people. I don't think we need stopwatch's on every shot but we need to stop players spending unlimited time looking for balls ect
#5 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 9:41:57 AM
Andy King
Andy King
Handicap: 12
Kent
Pro Member

Some of these proposed rule changes are good, some not so I think. Dropping the ball on a penalty or free drop from just above the ground. What's the point ? If it's that low, you'll get a good lie anyway...why not place it ? Flag left in on the green. Good for us mortals, but slow play on tour is a problem...but they have caddies to attend or remove the flag. Will it being left in make a big difference to tour players ? 40sec a shot is good, repair spike marks on the green is very good. However, I am worried about no penalty for accidently moving your ball. Who is going to 'police' that ? I would be worried about picking somebody up on if a move to a better lie was 'accidental'. It is more 'clear cut' as it is. If the ball moved, accidental or 'not'...it's a penalty.