Golf Forums - Trevor Sandford - TSG loses one of its own...

Trevor Sandford - TSG loses one of its own... Options
#1 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 1:08:48 PM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
Handicap: 0
UK
Pro Member

Dear TSGers,

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you that TSG has lost one of its biggest advocates. Despite huge defiance and bravery, 
Trevor lost his 18 month long fight with cancer this week.

For those that didn't know Trevor, he was a intrinsic in getting our well supported community off the ground in the early days, but he is most well known for his
 "Month of Madness on the M25" - in which he played a different course, at a different junction on the M25, throughout the month of August in 2011.

Inspired by his Pairs partner Andy from Tudor Park (Maidstone), who was diagnosed in 2010, in doing so, he rose over £10k for Cancer Research and was heavily supported by TSGers - his
 blog of his golfing odyssey received over 10k hits.

He went on to write a book and did talks on his experience.

Golf Against Cancer

His humour and repartee was much appreciated by all his golfing friends. And he will particularly be remembered for his constant pursuit of the “Chip in Birdie”.

Gritty to the end, despite grave illness, he'd even found the time to put his name down for this year's TSG OPEN less than two weeks ago, such was his determination to beat the illness.

Rest assured, we will try to find some way to mark his contribution to TSG and his memory but until then, we send our condolences to Trevor's family at this difficult time.

He will be greatly missed.

Yours Sincerely

Ian & The TSG Team

--------------------------------

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51JdmyUAWtL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
#2 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 3:27:42 PM
David Allchorne
David Allchorne
Handicap: 15
HERTS
Pro Member

That really is so sad, he was a great guy who was just so infectious and enthusiastic in every thing he did.

The month of golf he played really did so much to bring the tsg community together and his book was a thoroughly entertaining account of the adventure.
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 12:13:09 AM
Brigitte Lockwo...
Brigitte Lockwood
Handicap: 27
Middlesex
Pro Member

I have got tears in my eyes reading this so sad announcement.
I was not a TSG member when TREVOR did his 31 days of golf to raise money for Cancer research but I got to know TREVOR and his wife , I had great hospitality at their home during a Golf day at their home club, Woodlands Manor.  I am so so sad, Trevor was a very bright, witty, charming  & fun person and a passionate golfer .  I also played my 1st TSG Open in his Team, we had kept the Yellow ball till the 17th hole (Bletchingley) and our brave Captain Trevor mis-hit  his wedge shot to the green & the yellow ball was lost.....I cannot remember his words but it was funny !
A very sad loss indeed. You will be missed Trevor.  
Sincere condolences to his wife & family.

Do we know where & when the funeral is taking place?
Please advise.  Thank you

Brigitte
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 9:08:17 AM
John Barber
John Barber
Handicap: 17
Bedfordshire
Pro Member

Trevor, you will be missed. Chip in in peace.
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 9:51:02 PM
Alan Haywood
Alan Haywood
Handicap: 18
Essex
Pro Member

This lovely man, full of joy and enthusiasm in everything he did, will be sorely missed. A chip in birdie will forever be known as ...A Trevor. Rest of in piece dear man and know that you brought joy to many people's lives.
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 2, 2017 9:12:54 PM
Mark Crane
Mark Crane
Handicap: 13
Kent
Pro Member

What a sad loss !! I still have my certificate from Trevor for my Chip-In Birdie at Deangate Ridge (6th Hole), in the 1st round of the 2014 Matchplay. One of the first people I made contact with socially. A Really Nice Guy and A True Gentleman. I Will Miss You, Trevor. Play well up there, mate :-)
#7 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 3:32:13 PM
Howard(BREKKIE)...
Howard(BREKKIE) Davis
Handicap: 22
essex
Pro Member

played Trevor in the matchplay a couple of years a true gent and a pleasure to play with,will be sorely missed R.I.P Trevor
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2017 9:10:36 AM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
UK
Pro Member

Dear All,

I have now heard back from Trevor's family and the details of his funeral are as follws....

-------------

Wednesday 12th April

3.30 Private family cremation at Vinters Park Crematorium.

3.45 Celebration and thanksgiving for Trevor’s life at Holy Cross Church, Bearsted, ME14 4EE.

There is no dress code, Trevor wouldn’t have wanted everybody in black. Refreshments afterwards at the Memorial Hall, Manor Rise ME14 4DB.

This is a very short walk up the alleyway.

We ask for no flowers but donations could be made to Cancer Research UK, which was Trevor’s request.

He had opted to trial 2 treatments which provided feedback to cancer research. If you choose, just send a
cheque made out for Cancer Research UK to ; The Family Funeral Service 4 Cavendish Way Bearsted Maidstone Kent ME15 8PW please put in a note saying it’s in memory of Trevor

Parking
Parking spaces in the car park opposite the church are limited, so it would help if local friends could walk if possible. There is also street parking near the Memorial Hall. Our friends Andrew and Sandra Knatchbull who live at Gore Cottage ME14 4NG will open their gates to allow parking on their land by the house.

They are opposite Tudor Park where Trevor played a lot of golf. It is then a lovely 10 minute stroll or 5 min walk westwards to the church, through the beautiful
Bearsted Woodland Trust. Singers Trevor would love there to be singers from his various choirs to sing in his memory and we plan a scratch choir (of amazing voices from London, Bristol, Bath, Kent).

Alan Vincent, our conductor and music director from Kent Chamber Choir has kindly agreed to co-ordinate and conduct a choir. There's a rehearsal at the church from 2:15pm. Two hymns will be sung and two anthems by the assembled singers: Stanford's
Beati quorum via (we had that at our wedding) and the Nunc Dimittis from Howells Collegiate Regale.

If you can take part, please email alan.vincent@talktalk.net Please tell him

1. what voice you are

2. attached are the
pdf files for the anthems – for Howells you only need to print the Nunc Dimittis Staying over There are several hotels nearby – Marriott Tudor Park, Hilton, Mercure.

Also we have many friends who would offer accommodation if asked. Please get back to me if this would help.

There are 2 pubs on the green The White Horse, Oak on the Green. Lovely restaurant, Fish on the Green. Black Horse at
Thurnham 3 miles up in the N Downs. Clare, Helena and I look forward to seeing you there – please do ‘check in’ at the church so we know who came and please write memories in our book at the wake.

---------------------------------------------------------

#9 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 6:03:16 PM
Greg Butler
Greg Butler
Handicap: 15
Essex
Pro Member

This is very sad and such a shame. I was fortunate to play with Trevor on the "Month of Madness" and a few times after. If Okay with Ian and the team i would like to suggest an annually contested trophy attached to any of the TSG Majors, where we have a nearest the pin chipping competition for the Trevor Sandford memorial trophy, which I would like to purchase. Having lost my Dad the same way last year it's very important not to forget them. 
#10 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2017 6:17:46 PM
Mark Crane
Mark Crane
Handicap: 13
Kent
Pro Member

How about a Chip-In Birdie Trophy in Trevor's name at one of the Majors. First person to get a chip-in Birdie on the day wins it for a year. I know he was passionate about chip-in birdies.
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 8, 2017 5:54:58 PM
Brigitte Lockwo...
Brigitte Lockwood
Handicap: 27
Middlesex
Pro Member

Great idea Greg and very generous us of you.  Trevor would surely love that ...
#12 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 11:39:24 AM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
UK
Pro Member

Morning Greg,

I think thats a wonderful gesture.Thats exactly what we had in mind. Perhaps we could use the indoor Golf sim at Farliegh at the TSG Open. £1 per entry (have as many goes as you like) all monies go towards Cancer Research - his chosen charity?

If OK, I would like to run this by Trevor's family first - although I am sure they will be delighted - but very generous of you.

I'll come back to you on this but I think its perfect.

Ian & The TSG Team
------------------------------

#13 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:52:44 AM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
UK
Pro Member

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Dear TSGers,

Just a quick note to say we attended Trevor Sandford's funeral yesterday....

The service was anything but somber and was celebration of Trevor's life and there were many golfing anecdotes shared in the eulogies and after at the wake.

In addition, a wall of Trevor's M25 achievement was given pride of place at the memorial hall, with the book of his exploits given to all those that turned up on the day too.

Trevor's family would like to thank everyone for their condolences and have been very humbled by everyone's comments.

Trevor will be sorely missed by everyone.

Ian & The Team
------------------------

#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:25:48 AM
Paul Houghton
Paul Houghton
Handicap: 16
Essex
Pro Member

Just read this very sad news (I'm in the process of moving house so I'm distracted). I had the pleasure of not only reading Trevor's book but playing golf against him in match play. He was an inspiration and a lovely gentleman. What can I say that others have not said above, I like many others was amazed at his confidence to getting a chip in birdie. He warned me before we teed off at my local course. I went one up, Trevor levelled on hole 2, chip in birdies on 3 and 8 put me two down I never recovered and lost 1 down. Trevor's book is a wonderful account of a man that had 'stand up' principles and a wonderful sense of humour. Trevor and I also shared another passion which is singing in choirs, unfortunately we never sang together. I really liked this man, and am deeply saddened by his passing. My condolences to his family. Golf has lost a real character and the world has lost a little bit of colour in Kent. Lets toast him on Saturday at the 'masters' I'm sure he'll be watching. RIP Trevor...sing with the angels and show them how to chip in them birdies!
#15 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 3:12:01 PM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
UK
Pro Member

Dear TSGers,

Just a quick update. We have now spoken with Trevor's wife and have proposed that we honour Trevor's memory by the way of rewarding all TSGers who achieve a 'Chip-in-Birdie' at any of the TSG Major events throughout each year.

This reward will take the form of a TSG Medal, branded and engraved - which will be known as a 'Trevor'.

These medals will be handed out at the end of each Major with the other prizes.....

Having proposed this to Trevor's wife earlier today, she felt it was a fitting tribute, so comes with her endorsement.

Greg, lets catch up about also having a trophy to record those that achieved the above - a superb and generous gesture!

#TSGfamily

Ian & The Team
----------------------