A Ruling please. Options
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:37:51 PM
Paul Thorne
Paul Thorne
Handicap: 17
Essex. CO9 3QJ
Pro Member

Evening All

Today on the golf course in a matchplay event an incident occurred, where non of us knew the correct ruling.

The said gentleman teed up on a Par 3. took his swing and completely missed the ball. In his frustraction he turned and kicked the ball backwards from the tee. He then picked up the ball and preceded to tee up again.

We are all not sure if a penalty has occurred or not.

As this was a friendly match we agreed on a 1 shot penalty thus playing 3 off the tee.

Is this correct?

Regards Paul

#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 8:47:56 PM
Andrew Turnbull
Andrew Turnbull
Handicap: 13
Essex
Pro Member

I would say that's correct. As the ball is still on the tee and not been struck it is not in play yet.  1 shot penalty. 3 off the tee
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:13:01 PM
David Allchorne
David Allchorne
Handicap: 14
HERTS
Pro Member

Hope you made him wear his trousers round his ankles for his next shot
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:31:27 PM
Colin Kitchingh...
Colin Kitchingham
Handicap: 15
Kent
Pro Member

Believe the ball was in play the moment he started down with the intention of hitting the ball regardless of whether he hit it or not.

Missing the ball would count as a shot, the ball now being in play moving it accidently or otherwise would incur a penalty stroke and the ball would need to be replaced which it was.

On the face of it  you are right in that his next shot would be his 3rd (tough school) however there is a question mark in my mind as to whether the ball can be legitimately re-teed in such circumstances.    
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:02:09 PM
Gary Tonge
Gary Tonge
Handicap: 27
Essex
Pro Member

The decision should have been a loss of the hole as this was a match play event Your account suggests the kicking of the ball was a deliberate act and not accidental and therefore rule 1.2 is applicable, which is loss of hole in match play or 2 strokes penalty in stroke play 1.2 1-2 Exerting Influence on Movement of Ball or Altering Physical Conditions http://www.randa.org/Rul...ring-Physical-Conditions
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:04:10 PM
Speedy
Speedy
Essex
Pro Member

I guess I view things slightly differently. I would have pissed myself laughing, had a look at what sort of shot he had with his Footjoys and if it was any good, see if we could get him to sign for Spurs.
#7 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 7:21:05 AM
Steve 'The Powe...
Steve 'The Power' Slater
Handicap: 15
Essex
Pro Member

I would agree with gary, loss of hole in matchplay, 2 shot penalty in stroke play. Ball would have been in play with the missed shot, kicking it would constitute exherting influence. However i would have chuckled a fair bit too. I do suspect the exerting influence rule was designed to stop people taking advantage, fir example altering the course of a putt with a carefully placed shoe...

#8 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 5:39:39 PM
Gary Harvey
Gary Harvey
Handicap: 11
West of London
Pro Member

I think that a ball on tee is not in play. 1 shot for the airshot.... Playing 2nd. The kick is irrelevant. Deliberate exertion of the ball does not come into play.... As he could have picked the ball up and re teed it after the air shot without penalty. It's no different when you think about it. He hadn't addressed the ball for the 2nd attempt so the movement (be it a kick or re tee or accidentally hitting it with the driver) so not an issue. 

If it was who wants to be a millionaire I'd gamble. 

#9 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2017 9:09:58 PM
Judy Lilley
Judy Lilley
Handicap: 21
Kent
Pro Member

Gary Tonge is correct.  If this was an official, serious matchplay.
If it was a friendly with the lads - Speedy hit the nail on the head........or kicked the ball off the tee?
Golf is not a matter of life or death.............it is much more serious than that.
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:29:43 PM
Steve Rawlinson
Steve Rawlinson
Handicap: 12
North London
Pro Member

Gary's answer is correct but Speedy's answer is a lot funnier :)
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:08:05 PM
Judy Lilley
Judy Lilley
Kent
Pro Member

I agree Steve R - even to the extent that I would nominate Speedy for the funniest comment made for the non caption competition.

#12 Posted : Friday, September 1, 2017 10:53:48 PM
Brigitte Lockwo...
Brigitte Lockwood
Handicap: 25
Middlesex
Pro Member

To : Steve Rawlinson:

I gather you mean Gary Tonge and not Gary Harvey......
We are asking for a ruling not people's views or opinions, although everyone is entitled to comment.

And yes Speedy's comment is funny.

#13 Posted : Saturday, September 2, 2017 6:42:48 AM
Andrew Turnbull
Andrew Turnbull
Essex
Pro Member

I have asked Alexa   In stroke play after an air shot the ball is still in play, moving the ball deliberatly or accidentally does incur a penalty and the ball must be replace, 3 off the tee.  She doesn't do matchplay 
#14 Posted : Saturday, September 2, 2017 8:37:15 AM
Judy Lilley
Judy Lilley
Kent
Pro Member

You are right Brigitte. Everyone is entitled to comment and as we all know - TSGers always will. Embrace diversity. We love TSG.

#15 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:12:58 AM
Bob Davies
Bob Davies
Handicap: 28
Victoria
Pro Member

"Well I have certainly learned a lot about The rules of golf today reading all you great replies, but who won the "Matchplay"

Happy golfing everyone

Scottish Bob. 
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 10:55:41 AM
Gary Harvey
Gary Harvey
Handicap: 11
West of London
Pro Member

Sorry Brigitte.... I thought it was an open forum.

I will run all my replies by the self appointed CEO of TSG in future. 

For the record....R and A had a 50/50 viewpoint when I rang so not a black and white answer it seems