Golf Forums - Beginners - Meeting people of similar level?

Beginners - Meeting people of similar level? Options
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2017 8:48:55 PM
Richard Sutherl...
Richard Sutherland
Handicap: 28
Surrey

Hello all,

I have recently started playing golf and am absolutely hooked. I have had some lessons and am looking to have a few more but I am obviously fairly bad and want to find others who are just starting out. I am looking to meet up with people for games in the medium term or even go to driving range but I can't find any online space to meet others. 

Is TSG useful for beginners and if not, can anyone help recommend where to find golfing friends of similar ability (or lack thereof).

Thanks!
Rich

#2 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 9:59:42 AM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
Handicap: 0
UK
Pro Member

Hi Richard,

Welcome to TSG!

You are very much in the right place. We welcome all golfers. Everyone has to start somewhere and I think most TSGers will welcome you to their games, regardless of your playing standard. 

It can be daunting sport when you are just learning the game but we pride ourselves on providing a platform on which all golfers are encouraged and welcome.

We wish you luck in your journey...

Ian & The TSG Team
-----------------------------

#3 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:33:51 PM
Mick Maher
Mick Maher
Kent
Pro Member

Hi Richard,

I'm still 28hcp but getting better, been playing for about a year now and my advice is to just get involved. I did just that and have met some really nice and helpful golfers who were just like us at some stage. Don't let the novice thing get in your way!

Enjoy its a great game....
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 8:08:49 PM
Richard Sutherl...
Richard Sutherland
Surrey

Thanks guys!

I guess I'll just hope to meet people out and about!

#5 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 12:05:23 PM
Brigitte Lockwo...
Brigitte Lockwood
Handicap: 27
Middlesex
Pro Member

Hello Richard,

Welcome to TSG (The Social Golfer).

I agree with what has been said above, we all started at different levels and abilities.

A great idea to mix with others golfers , everyone at TSG is friendly and welcoming.

We do 4 annual big events:
Masters, Open day, Matchplay & Par 3 Competition & more to come in the very near future.

Do join games and see for yourself.  There are some really good deals posted on the site and discounts with associated golf courses etc., preferred golf clubs etc. and everyone seem to find some deals somewhere and share them on this site.  I have played courses I never thought I would have played.

One important thing I would mention though is to make sure that you learn the golf Etiquette from the begining as it will help you , will make the game more enjoyable for everyone, also try not to accept too many "gimmie putts" as it will not help you, it may help your scorecard but not your ability........

These are my views... Oh! one more thing, read the reviews on this site and write your own

THE END...

Brigitte

#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 5:59:17 PM
Paul Smith
Paul Smith
Handicap: 15
Surrey
Pro Member

Hi Richard my wife is currently having lessons and we have been on some courses in our local area. If you fancy a game sometime in the new year let me know and I will post one for new people. Paul.
#7 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 8:59:38 AM
Steve 'The Powe...
Steve 'The Power' Slater
Handicap: 16
Essex
Pro Member

The TSG is a great place to start, and I do believe that we can all remember starting out. I think that the more you get out and about the quicker you will be able to put lessons into practice (and find a way that works for you). Do join with others of different capabilities, great to see how others manage and you might just discover what your pro cannot teach.

No one minds a novice but we are sometimes frustrated by slow play... learn the rules as you progress but know etiquette as it helps everyone to enjoy.

Do feel free to ask, as there is seldom a reluctance to offer advice... and welcome to a great game, which is never the same and always a challenge.

#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:35:39 PM
Richard Sutherl...
Richard Sutherland
Surrey

Thanks everyone and Paul! A game would be great! Good advice!

I will definitely learn etiquette before hitting the course!

#9 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2017 3:18:15 PM
Paddy O'Hagan
Paddy O'Hagan
Handicap: 20
Berkshire

Hi Richard,

I'm around for a game most weekend afternoons if you want to play.

If the weather is good this weekend I'll be playing Pyrford.