Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Handicap Certificate

Handicap Certificate Options
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2018 12:17:38 PM
Handicap: 26
Kent
Pro Member

Hi 
Does anyone out there have any experience of using the TSG Handicap certificate to play on a course. Just trying to understand if the certificate is generally accepted.

By the way, although I joined in 2014 I allowed my membership to lapse and have never really used the Handicap Certificate.

Many thanks

#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2018 12:37:03 PM
Handicap: 24
Essex
Pro Member

No experience of using the certificate, I think most courses are fairly flexible and don't require them, however there are some who will not accept a non-golf club handicap certificate. The ones who don't tend to make a point of this on their website. Therefore I would suggest checking the website or calling the Pro shop. 

As an example, the St Andrews Links trust which manages a number of courses including the Old Course, only stipulate the requirement for an official handicap to play the Old course, all other courses can be played without an official club handicap certificate.
Extract from the site 'a current official handicap card (Golf Club affiliated to a Golf Union/Association) record or certificate must be presented to the starter prior to play'. https://www.standrews.co...e/booking-the-old-course

Hope this helps Gary
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2018 3:30:25 PM
Kent
Pro Member

Gary

That's great - thanks the the response and advice

Much appreciated

#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 3:56:23 PM
Handicap: 0
Essex
Pro Member

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your forum posting... it's a good question!

Alas, no online Handicap certificate will allow you to 'officially' play in Competitions as CONGU will only endorse clubs that have a physical clubhouse. Which is rather annoying as our handicap system is arguably more accurate that any CONGU handicap but rest assured our system is based on the same calculations. 

Furthermopre, in a survey with our members last year, of those that belong to a club, 100% of all those asked had a lower handicap on The Social Golfer than at their club.

However, given that we only charge a small fee of £29.98 a year (this includes a free round of golf at a Crown Golf course) to belong to the community, this is obviously a lot cheaper than if you were to join a traditional club at circa £800-1000+.

The good news is that as far as we know, we have only ever heard of one club refusing a TSG handicap on the grounds that they only accepted a CONGU handicaps (even for casual play!).

I think you will find our system is very tightly controlled and many of the members have used there TSG Handicap successfully on 'social' competitions, corporate golf days and society comps. Note: This may be different for 'open club' competitions.

I hope this answers your questions, please do not hesitate to ask if you would like any further information. 

Kind Regards

Ian
The TSG Team
---------------------

#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:43:01 PM
Handicap: 27
Middlesex
Pro Member

Official CONGU handicaps are normally required for Club Opens, as one has to quote the CDH ID number that has all the records.

Certain golf courses in Europe (France & Spain for sure) will require you to produce your handicap certificate, some will greet you with open arms, as long as you have the Etiquette, etc.

I agree with what has been said by other comments. But Club handicap are normally based on games from White Tees for the Men as opposed to Yellow Tees (used in TSG), Ladies Red as usual.

Not sure how the new  TEE system will work.

Brigitte

#6 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:15:55 AM
Kent
Pro Member

Ian / Brigitte

Many thanks for your help.

Paul