Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Putting - Pin In or Out?

Putting - Pin In or Out? Options
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:49:41 PM
Handicap: 24
Essex
Pro Member

With the new rule changes the jury is out on whether you should leave the pin in or out, and you will see that even the golf Pro's are undecided on this. If you look on the web there is a recent article from My Golf Spy which has carried out some research related to this; the article is called TESTED: Flagstick in or Flagstick Out? I've added two of the tables as pictures on my profile if you cant find the article.

The concluson from the research is more putts were made with the flagstick in, compared to being out and the numbers are quite significant.

Sample Data from a high COR flagstick -
  • 6ft strength (past the hole) 100% of putts were made with the flag in on a centre strike, with the flag out the number dropped to 35%,
  • 9ft strength (past the hole) 70% of putts were made with the flag in on a centre strike, with the flag out the number dropped to 5%. 

The research methodology
  • Putts were hit using a tool called the 'perfect putter'
  • 20 putts at each speed were made for 3ft pin in, 3ft pin out, 6ft and 9ft.
  • The speed element (3ft, 6ft, 9ft) relates to how far the ball would have gone past the hole if they were unimpeded by an obsticle, it does not relate to putt length. Obviously we dont want to knock our putts past the hole by 3, 6, and 9ft but it does happen from time to time...
  • 2 standard flagsticks were used one softer and one more rigid, the softer flagstick absorbs more energy from the ball than a stiff flagstick.

So the question is, will more players be putting with the flagstick in or out? I think I will try putting with it in...

#2 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 3:51:07 PM
Handicap: 19
Essex
Pro Member

Having read this Gary.... I'll be leaving it in too!

#GreatPost

#3 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 2:25:08 PM
Handicap: 19
Bedfordshire
Pro Member

At Redbourn the local rule has been that during the winter no tending of the flag, so most of us have putted with the pin in medal or not.

Having watched some golf over the last three weeks it is apparent that there are more converts each round to keeping pin in on longer puts but generally the majority are taking out on 10ft of under.

Worst excuse in a magazine for not wanting the pin in rule - a contributor plays at a club with a blind green and the only way to know if it's clear is for the flag to be in, therefore they are for doing away with the pin in rule - a suggestion for that person, buy a bell!

jb

#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:30:20 PM
Handicap: 28
Kent

Message was deleted by Moderator.
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2019 5:05:10 AM
Handicap: 15
Essex
Pro Member

I have always found that leaving the pin in a useful aid to lining up putts using a version of the Plumbob... particularly longer putts over 10ft. Perhaps it does help to focus on a smaller target...
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2019 4:19:13 PM
Handicap: 28
Middlesex
Pro Member

Flag in for me from a distance and flag out from near......and please golfers don’t assume my distances are the same as yours, so please always ask.

Brigitte

#7 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 9:54:31 AM
Handicap: 13
Essex
Pro Member

Certainly one of the new rules that has a real impact.  When practising on my own I've usually left the pin in.  So putting in competition should not make a difference?  I think old school players will struggle with this more.  The main thing is it speeds up play which is what some of the rule changes are tring to do.  I use 'aim point' system when I putt so having the pin in should help even more?
#8 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 3:31:21 PM
Essex
Pro Member

I also practice with the pin in on putting greens, and I think most people do, so it shouldnt have a real impact, however it may look a little strange to some people. If it’s a windy day I would take it out.

I can see how having the pin in will help for AimPoint as I purchased the video last week. I think it will take 2-3 weeks for me to calibrate my feel before I can start using AimPoint on the course, I know they say you can do this in 2-3 days but fitting the practice in between work is tricky this time of year, with the lack of daylight in the evening. If it saves 3-4 strokes per round off my putting it will be worth it.

How long did it take for you to calibrate your feel for AimPoint?

Paul Houghton wrote:
 Certainly one of the new rules that has a real impact.  When practising on my own I've usually left the pin in.  So putting in competition should not make a difference?  I think old school players will struggle with this more.  The main thing is it speeds up play which is what some of the rule changes are tring to do.  I use 'aim point' system when I putt so having the pin in should help even more?
#9 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 3:56:37 PM
Handicap: 13
Essex
Pro Member

I watched a few videos to start with and then, just went for it. Have used it for two years now. I also incorporate another technique as well. It’s just a matter of finding out what works for you. Stick with it if you read the green right your direction & distance control will improve but you have to practice. My best last season was 26 putts including 6 one putts and two chip ins!
#10 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 10:56:21 PM
Essex
Pro Member

26 putts, very impressive. Catch up with you soon.