Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - £20 to use TSG worth it or not?

2 Pages 12>
£20 to use TSG worth it or not? Options
#1 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 6:32:42 PM
Handicap: 28
Kent

I have just seen the email regarding being charged £20 to use the TSG site.
Now I have been using it for free for about 3 years, but recently there have not been many good games going on so I have only popped on to read the occasional forum etc.

I know that the Virtual golf society was abandoned in favour of TSG a couple of years ago.  That was mainly because they charged & the site was not as good as this one (in my opinion)

I fully understand that the site operators would want to make something for their aquisition of TSG, but perhaps there could be (as was suggested about a year ago) credits that could be earned by posting games, course reviews etc.

The number of games & the forum postings have declined recently so perhaps TSG should be looking at getting us more involved, rather than introducing a fee, that may just scare off existing members in the financially challenging time?
#2 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 7:32:05 PM
Kent

Ah, the proverbial catch 22 - everybody recognises there is a cost to providing, maintaining and operating a website but no-one wants to pay for an internet service because we've all come to correlate 'Internet' with 'Free'!

For my two penneth worth I'd say - As long as the quality is maintained, I'd be happy with a nominal charge because then I'd know that all games which were posted (including mine) were only open to people who had actually paid to be a member of the community (it's a truism that even time wasters who are time wasters by nature won't pay to be a time waster...).

So, although the three month deferral is a bit stingy (I've been a member for two years, perhaps I should get 6 months deferral?), I'm generally happy with the proposal and I would join.

Having said that I am reminded of a remark by the superb Groucho Marx:  "Please accept my resignation. I don't to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member".  Schizophrenic or what...

#3 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 10:22:38 PM
Handicap: 14
Hampshire

Hi Roly
From my perspective £20 IS decent value.
I use the site to post all my scores and therefore track my handicap for all games that I play (alongside my Club CONGU handicap).
Like you, I have not joined games over the Winter but plan to do so again once the season gets into full swing. I do, however, enjoy seeing what games are being arranged and how people that I know have performed. I also find the Course Reviews interesting.
When most of us are forking out £100s on memberships/green fees/equipment/travel, £20 as part of our annual golf expenditure is no big deal, as long as the quality of the site is being maintained.
Cheers.
Roger
#4 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2011 10:49:52 PM
Kent

I must say I wondered how long this site would remain FREE of charge.
For me it opened up a new world of golf,I have played many games with members,and had some really enjoyable games,made new golfing friends,its a fantastic site to be part of.
The £20 subscription fee,for me is a small price to pay for the enjoyment I have  already had in the past 15 months.
I just hope that it does not put other members off continuing their membership because of the charge.

It's only the price of a round of golf at my local course

Keep up the good work
Jack.

#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:55:03 AM
Handicap: 18
Essex
Pro Member

I suppose it was bound to happen, as there must be a huge cost in providing such a site - hosting it for eg., and maintence must be a full time job. Personally I would be happy to pay a nominal £20 to belong to a golf community  that I have really enjoyed playing with these past few years.
It is my experience that the membership is full of 'characters', and it has been a joy playing with many of them.
I look forward to the TSG Golf day on June 10th when I shall be meeting many more.
Although I do belong to a golf club, I find that the TGS gives me greater flexibility in finding games at other courses, with people I got to know very quickly....playing the same old course, week in week out, does get a bit boring... Additionally, we do get good rates at other clubs, either via 2 for 1, Open Fairays,  or the organiser gets us members rates. All in all, a great deal.
Summarily, TSG has opened up a world of golf I would not have otherwise known. Thank you, and keep it up.

#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:54:34 PM
Handicap: 15
Dorset
Pro Member

I used to be a member of a small, but friendly and very enjoyable golf club. I joined TSG and let my club membership lapse mainly because (a) i wanted to become a better golfer, i believe it's difficult to improve if you're playing the same holes over and over again, (b) i wanted to play different courses and (c) i could'nt afford to do both. 
 TSG lets me play when i want, where i want, with some of the best golfing companions you could ask for. (Any improvement in my golf is questionable so far  ;0) )
 TSG lets me record my scores, keep an official handicap, gives me advice if needed, plus other golfing related features.
 All this up to now has been completely free, i fully understand how difficult it must be providing all this for nothing, how many other services do you know nowadays that are free? 
 How much am i to be charged for this membership to TSG?.................................less than 40 pence a week, still sounds like a good deal to me.
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:15:43 PM
Handicap: 17
Staffordshire

I think it depends on where you live, this site as far as the games are concerned are predominantly in the South. I live in the Midlands & have hardly seen any games posted in my area all the time I've been with TSG. I did have one local member contact me for a game & we have subsequently had a few more but other than that I haven't played a single game on here as most of them are over 100 miles away. I'll still look at the site but there's not much point in me paying £20 for nothing. I'm a member at a club so get my handicap from there, I also use Virtual Golf Society who have games all over the country.

#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:20:34 PM
Essex
Pro Member

Hi Garry, did you ever consider posting a game...you never know you might get a response. The more people who post games, the bigger the variety of courses available to the members. For example, I live on the outskirts of London, and frequently travel to Brum to see my family and would love to join a game up there if one was available. All it takes is for someone to take the time to post one. I also use VGS, and I gather they are charging for their service later this year.
Happy golfing.
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2011 8:23:44 AM
Staffordshire

Hi Alan

A friend of mine has posted a few midlands games on here but there was no interest, he used to post many games on here but moved to VGS as other people always join his games on there....he currently has 2 games on VGS where 17 have joined one game & 4 for the other...this wouldn't have happened here. Don't get me wrong this is a great site but games wise it is mostly southern based so not much good for me. It's strange because there seems to be many members in the Midlands but for some reason very few of them take an active role here.

Regards

Garry
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:35:02 PM
Handicap: 20
surrey
Pro Member

I've been on this site since 08, I've met some great people on great courses and always enjoyed the golf .. for this I thank them and the social golfer.
Free is always good but £20 is a fair price.

Maybe throw in a TSG bag tag...

#11 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:58:59 AM
Essex
Pro Member

I like that idea David...it helps too if/when new players arrive at a venue, the tag identifies people and intro's are made easier.
#12 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2011 8:45:06 AM
Essex

roly richardson wrote:
 I have just seen the email regarding being charged £20 to use the TSG site.
Now I have been using it for free for about 3 years, but recently there have not been many good games going on so I have only popped on to read the occasional forum etc.

I know that the Virtual golf society was abandoned in favour of TSG a couple of years ago.  That was mainly because they charged & the site was not as good as this one (in my opinion)I fully understand that the site operators would want to make something for their aquisition of TSG, but perhaps there could be (as was suggested about a year ago) credits that could be earned by posting games, course reviews etc.

The number of games & the forum postings have declined recently so perhaps TSG should be looking at getting us more involved, rather than introducing a fee, that may just scare off existing members in the financially challenging time?

Now thats and idea that needs looking into CREDITS for posting,reviews ect. that way we might get a lot more people bothering to post games instead of just waiting for someone else to!!!
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 2, 2011 12:33:02 PM
Handicap: 15
East Sussex
Pro Member

I have made some good friends and had some great games with people on this site so in my opinion its well worth the £20. It will also show who is serious about joining games, as there do's seem to be a lot of people on this site who have never gone out and joined a game.

A question for the TSG guys. I have a group on this site how will I know if all of the current members re join, will you be removing them from the groups that they belong to, or how do you see it working. 
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 2, 2011 7:14:55 PM
Kent

Probably one solution is rather have an ACTIVE member to rename it a FULLY ACTIVE MEMBER which indicates  you have paid the £20 subscriptions,and shows you have access to all the site.
Jack 
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2011 12:21:10 PM
Kent

With my aching bones sometimes, I would need to be labelled a "Not very active member!!"
#16 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2011 10:02:37 PM
Handicap: 23
Surrey

I agree with Roly's 1st comment, 18 months ago I joined VGS looking to play more golf with anyone, as long as I was playing golf, Played with Derek Hewson who put me onto TSG and told me that everyone had left VGS to join TSG on the basis it was free!!!!

Now im no tight bugger and have no hesitation in paying £20 for any kind of subscription, but Roly is right, lack of games and too many in the wrong part of the area(Essex) have left me in thinking do I really want to pay £20 a year just to tap my scores in(priciple I guess).

In my 20 Months of joining TSG I have enjoyed some of my best golf and bad, and met some really decent people, will mention Tim Culyer, John Sewell, Michael Channing who are gentleman when it comes to playing the game, my 85 Broke Hill Feb10, 87 Selsdon Park August 10 are two of my most satisfying  rounds ever which have both been on TSG pre arranged games which will never be forgotton(I can play golf when I want to)

So where will I be in June, I dont't know, may start my own free golf networking website www.slumbersgolfsocial.com ____________________ feel free to join
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:49:16 AM
Handicap: 20
Hertfordshire

I've enjoyed the games I've joined using the site and the people I've met.

Unfortunately, the old back trouble returned last July and subsequently I've only managed one round since (that was a pre-arranged birthday meet last September)

Not sure how long its going to be until I'l OK but having said that the £20 fee is very good value in my opinion given the service provided.

Hope to see some of you chaps sooner rather than later.
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:05:25 PM
Bedfordshire
Pro Member

£20 is not a bad price, but.... There used to be lots of games on VGS, but many members left because they were having to pay and could get the same thing using TSG for free. Now we seem to be going the opposite way perhaps, as at present VGS is still free and not making any noises about charging an annual fee, and, surprisingly.

It appears that the majority of games on VGS are further north and most of the games on here are within 35 miles of Big Ben.

I will happily pay up my 20 quid, but will get awful ticked off if suddenly all the games disappear. I know I don't play that many, but to have a chance of playing a selection is worth while. At the end of the day £20 is not a fortune, and is an amount we all shell out at least once a week (if not a member somwhere), and this is an excellent meeting place to arrange those outings.

jb
#19 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 12:04:34 PM
Essex
Pro Member

I think you will find that the VGS plan to start charging in Dec. this year John,according to their website. No doubt there will be a bit of competition...vying for subscribers and so on, but to maintain a site such as TSG, is very time consuming, not to mention the degree of expertise involved....and this undoubtedly has a value - not something that can be maintained for free.
Whether or not the site attracts North, South or in betweeners , is of course, a matter for the subscribers. It's up to them to post games, but you are right, there does appear to be a North South divide at present.
#20 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 12:09:47 PM
Essex
Pro Member

Kevin Slumbers wrote:
I agree with Roly's 1st comment, 18 months ago I joined VGS looking to play more golf with anyone, as long as I was playing golf, Played with Derek Hewson who put me onto TSG and told me that everyone had left VGS to join TSG on the basis it was free!!!!

Now im no tight bugger and have no hesitation in paying £20 for any kind of subscription, but Roly is right, lack of games and too many in the wrong part of the area(Essex) have left me in thinking do I really want to pay £20 a year just to tap my scores in(priciple I guess).

In my 20 Months of joining TSG I have enjoyed some of my best golf and bad, and met some really decent people, will mention Tim Culyer, John Sewell, Michael Channing who are gentleman when it comes to playing the game, my 85 Broke Hill Feb10, 87 Selsdon Park August 10 are two of my most satisfying  rounds ever which have both been on TSG pre arranged games which will never be forgotton(I can play golf when I want to)

So where will I be in June, I dont't know, may start my own free golf networking website www.slumbersgolfsocial.com ____________________ feel free to join

Hi Kevin....Have you considered posting a few games out your way...you might get to know a useful band of intrepids...just a thought.