Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Do We Think TSG Should outlaw some courses from the Leaderboard ???

3 Pages <123>
Do We Think TSG Should outlaw some courses from the Leaderboard ??? Options
#21 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 5:01:21 PM
Handicap: 28
Kent

Adam Peek wrote:
In my opinion banning courses from the leaderboard is the wrong way to go. As is the idea of 3/4 handicaps.
Can a leaderboard system incorporating both Stableford points and score against par be used. For example a golfer scores 42 points playing a course that has a SSS of 67 against a par of 70....still with me?
Said golfer is 6 under his or her handicap based on stapleford points, but subtract from that the 3 shots the SSS is lower than par so this golfers score for our leaderboards sake would be 3 under Par.
This would also work at "harder" courses where the SSS is higher than par.

Adam that is spot on :) This seems the simplest solution surely ?
#22 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 5:02:45 PM
Kent

chris emms wrote:
Banning  is the thin end of the wedge! Whats next "only off the white tees"! or "only in competition"! or "not under winter rules"! i thought that the TSG was about social golf haveing a round of golf and a bit of a laugh
with a few golfing buddies?? or am i wrong?

Chris as soon as you have a Leaderboard us men want to be leading it
#23 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 5:06:12 PM
Handicap: 15
HERTS
Pro Member

Tend to agree with chris, fair enough if we are playing for a week in spain,but its purely symbolic and speaking for myself,  i love to see other people scoring well whatever course it happens to be on
#24 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 6:35:14 PM
Handicap: 13
Essex

TSG.........The SOCIAL Golfer........it's all supposed to be fun, isn't it ?!!

Naturally, we all enjoy playing more when scoring well, but it's also good to see the scores of other members when they've had a good day.....as Dave A says....'on whatever course.' 

I think it would be difficult to 'exclude' courses from the Leaderboard, or to adjust scores re SSS as where would it end?   As Chris says ..... how about Winter Rules....or what happens about a windy day?   Let's keep it a 'fun' thing and good luck to those playing the easier tracks, but those having a great round on a tougher course will have more satisfaction...and a bigger handicap reduction!

Throughout 2011, scores from three courses won the monthly prize more than once - Epping, Stapleford Abbotts (Priors) and Kingswood.  Obviously some courses are easier to play - last year, 8 of the 12 winning monthly scores were on courses having a SSS at least 3 shots below par (including Seaford Head - Par 71 - SSS 66),  but we all have the opportunity to play these if we wish!   Every course has it's own Leaderboard, so try for a higher position there!

Incidentally, winning scores ranged from 44 to 47pts, by players with handicaps from 14 to 26 - but the high handicappers are all lower now!
#25 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 7:24:16 PM
Handicap: 19
Bedfordshire
Pro Member

John, you have hit the nail right on the head:

• TSG.........The SOCIAL Golfer........it's all supposed to be fun, isn't it ?!!
  •  
The minute we all forget it is for fun is the time we all need to pack the game up. If banning courses did happen, how soon before we have a list of courses, and how soon before the membership of this site drops to an unsustainable level?

jb

#26 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:26:54 PM
Kent

Message was deleted by User.
#27 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:08:00 PM
East Sussex
Pro Member

Don't ban course's just do away with the leaderboard problem solved. Any way as someone has already said its meant to be a social wed site for us to meet and play with new people.

#28 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:29:41 PM
Kent

Here's one for the pot  
The winner for the leader board could be changed to the effect that you had to sumitt more than 3 cards in that month,instead of counting the one exeptional round.
Even if you submitt 10 CARDS you take the 3 highest Stableford scores giving you a total score for your best 3 rounds that month.Divide that total by 3. this will give you your average stableford score for your best 3 rounds that month.
The member with the highest average,wins the LEADER BOARD that month.
This will stop New members winning straight away,and cut out the bandits.
There seems to be some feelings that the Leader boad is not important,and creates hassell,and appears to deflect the MEANING OF the SOCIAL GOLFER.
Again its what it says on the tin.THE SOCIAL GOLFER,we all have our own ideas what we want from it.Obviously the most important aspect is the Social side,we have made this site what it is today,lets keep it that way,and make new members feel part of our community.
Also bear in mind things like the Leader Board are important to other members,I like nothing more than to see my name in the top 5 and may be one month I might WIN IT.
I am serious about my golf,and how I play,but more serious about always keeping the SOCIAL ASPECT FIRST.
This is true with most T.S.Gers I play with,long may it continue.
Jack
#29 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:43:12 PM
Kent

Jack Shelton wrote:
 Here's one for the pot  
The winner for the leader board could be changed to the effect that you had to sumitt more than 3 cards in that month,instead of counting the one exeptional round.
Even if you submitt 10 CARDS you take the 3 highest Stableford scores giving you a total score for your best 3 rounds that month.Divide that total by 3. this will give you your average stableford score for your best 3 rounds that month.
The member with the highest average,wins the LEADER BOARD that month.

That makes sence jack what a good idea
#30 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:17:16 PM
Bedfordshire
Pro Member

Jack Shelton, you have come up with a cracking idea with your average of the highest three cards. If you only put in one card with 45 points on it in the month, you will only end up with 15 points on the leaderboard. Still gives us something to play for (need a new shirt!) and removes the 'freak' round from the equation.

Very similar to the way the Yanks work out handicaps - and that seems to work. Gets my vote. If I am lucky my average over 3 is probably 29 to 33 (depending on if there is a vowel in the month) .

jb
#31 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:59:32 PM
Handicap: 17
Essex

Gets my vote       but the mechanics(software) might make it later rather than sooner
#32 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:23:47 PM
East Sussex
Pro Member

Good idea Jack, but that excludes all of us who find it hard to play three time in a month, from the leaderboard
#33 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:23:59 AM
Handicap: 16
Surrey
Pro Member

Why not make the leaderboard just for fun, it doesn't have to have a prize.  That way those that do like to see our name up there can if we have a good round.  And the rest of us will have a wry smile whenever we see an Epping GC score go up.  
You cannot ban easy courses.  I'll usually play Selsdon Park, but if I'm not playing too well I'll play Addington Court as its an easier course and will make me feel better.
#34 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:24:39 AM
Kent

Sorry to hear you can only play a couple of times a month,therefore the idea is not suited to you,thats what happens.
You will never resolve the problem to keep everyone happy.Maybe someone else may come up with something!!!!!!!!
My situation changes later in the year,and I will find it a problem too!!
If we can take one thing from this thread it has shown a great deal of positive feed back,and kept the forum alive for a change.
Come on guys lets have some more like this one.CHRIS.E. deserves a  polo shirt from the team
#35 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:53:52 AM
Handicap: 13
Essex

Well done, Jack - you've obviously put a lot of thought into this, which would effectively change the Leaderboard into a 'Golfer of the Month' league table.

Fair enough, when TSG is as big as The European Tour, with stats sponsored by Genworth Financial, but we currently pay £19.99 a year.....which must be an even better bargain than Thursday golf at Weald Park?!!!   The costs associated with reprogramming in order to 'average' scores would surely be beyond TSG resources.

We all have the opportunity to record scores and the overall best 5 are shown on the home page - so we can see who's playing well and where.   If 3 scores had to be entered, then it wouldn't work until later in the month and individual rounds couldn't be shown......far too complicated, I fear!   The new member handicap problem has now been addressed, so I think don't change something that isn't broke!

With your obvious determination and dedication, Jack, we'll all be happy to see your name continue to appear on that leaderboard and no doubt you'll soon be proudly wearing a TSG shirt !!  

#36 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 12:56:57 PM
Essex

I've quickly re-worked the top 10 using the format I mentioned on the previous page

1st) David Jacobs - 4 under "par"
1st) Robert Wooton - 4 under "par"
1st) Mark Tucknott - 4 under "par"
4th) Jack Shelton - 2 under "par"
5th) Chris Emms - 1 under "par"
6th) Michael Roos - level "par"
6th) Russell Gambrill - level "par"
8th) Dave Blaney - 2 over "par"
8th) Roger Marsland - 2 over "par"
10th) Colin Samuels - 4 over "par"

For those that didn't read my previous theory, this takes your stapleford score, in DJ's case 45 points as being 9 under par (36 points being a theoretical par score). Then adding back the difference between the SSS and course par. In Eppings case, SSS is 63 and par 68 so adding 5 onto David's -9 brings him to an adjusted score of 4 under.
To my mind this is the fairest way of adjusting a score based on the relative difficulty of a course. I know from experience 36 points scored at Stapleford Abbotts members course isn't equal to 36 points scored at their Priors course.
#37 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 1:12:05 PM
Handicap: 17
Essex

Ok Adam you  have got the job lol  but i do see what you are getting at, it just looks like lots of  T shirts for TSG to fund
#38 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 5:30:25 PM
Handicap: 27
Essex
Pro Member

Adam Peek wrote:
I've quickly re-worked the top 10 using the format I mentioned on the previous page

1st) David Jacobs - 4 under "par"
1st) Robert Wooton - 4 under "par"
1st) Mark Tucknott - 4 under "par"
4th) Jack Shelton - 2 under "par"
5th) Chris Emms - 1 under "par"
6th) Michael Roos - level "par"
6th) Russell Gambrill - level "par"
8th) Dave Blaney - 2 over "par"
8th) Roger Marsland - 2 over "par"
10th) Colin Samuels - 4 over "par"

I like this system....................probably the only way I'll ever be 1st 
#39 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 6:09:35 PM
Handicap: 27
Essex
Pro Member

Ed McLatchie wrote:
"TSG" If you are giving out ‘TSG’ shirts can I have one?

You need to be 1st mate!! (get that Porche down to Epping by all accounts )
#40 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:18:25 PM
Kent

Come on guys from over the Water,there is not much of a response from you!!!!!!!! Lets have some ideas or suggestions from you .
There have been some good threads in the past that you have jumped on made it very interesting,this is being dominated by Essex and Home counties.
All input is valid and read by the team,its not a waste of time,this is our site you included.
It only takes 5 minutes to write on here,so try and make the effort.
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE COULD FALL.
 JACK