Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - new drivers

new drivers Options
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:00:28 AM
Handicap: 15
East Sussex
Pro Member

with all the new drivers coming on the market what are your thoughts on the one that you can adjust yourself i.e. loft ,open closed ect. is it just a gimmic or do they have any real benifit 
My feelings are  if you buy a new driver and have it fitted to you and your swing why would you want to change how its been set up for you?
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:12:56 PM
Handicap: 19
Essex
Pro Member

Hi Roger,

Good post.....I bought a Cobra ZL Driver a few years back which allows me to adjust the fade/draw and whilst I never change the settings, I like the fact that the club is set to my game (read slice!). However,  I was persuaded by the shop to buy a 11.5 degree, which was clearly wrong, as I have no problem getting the ball in the air, so the new style clubs do appeal to me and would have prevented me from looking for a new club now.....

I spent an hour or so in my local American Golf last weekend trying out a few of the new Drivers, including the New Cobra, Nike Covert & New Titliest 913.....

The Verdict: 

Cobra - Nice solid feel and probably familiar to me due to the current club I use, but awful colours
Titliest - Sleek, well balanced and you can adjust the loft from 8 to 12 degrees (I like this one!)
Nike - Felt tinny and the front weighting did make the club feel awkward in the hands and I refuse to have a luminous red driver in my bag!

Personally, as long as you don't break any rules by adjusting the settings during a round, I think these new variations can only help the mid to high handicapper enjoy their game more!

:-)