Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Stewart Golf X5 (remote control) trolley review

Stewart Golf X5 (remote control) trolley review Options
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:21:59 PM
Handicap: 12
North London
Pro Member

I had actually eliminated the Stewart Golf range of trolleys from my enquiries for two reasons: they are ridiculously pricey (£999 for the cheapest model), and their email support is pretty poor, bordering on a bit rude. Totally different from gokart who were fantastic.

But I saw one on ebay, made a derisory bid while a bit drunk, and won it for just over £300.

It arrived this morning and it is really terrific.

It's a lot bigger than my clicgear folded down. This doesn't bother me because I drive a Landcruiser but it would be an issue in a smaller car. It's actually a bit plasticy. The handle does not look as if it would take much to break it. Of course the handle is not load-bearing so maybe this is not a problem. But the whole thing looks like it's made from plastic. The battery weight 11 kilos which is insane. I'll probably invest in a lighter one.

It works exactly like they say it does. Very easy to control with the remote, very easy to stear, very stable. I would say it's not quite as eager to go uphill as the prokart but that might not be fair because I only gave the battery 3 hours charge and the prokart had a lithium battery. It folds out and back down in a single movement, much simpler than my clicgear.

Stewart Golf do not have a particularly good reputation for dealing with faults, which was one of the reasons I was not going to buy one. Time will tell on that front. In the meantime this is a really good electric golf trolley.
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:24:38 PM
North London
Pro Member

Incidentally a perusal of the manuals reveals that the X5 I reviewed and the current X7 model are identical except that the X7 comes with a lithium battery, and the battery compartment has been made slightly smaller.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:47:33 PM
Handicap: 20
Bedfordshire
Pro Member

Just don't send yours into a pond like someone did in the past......
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:57:39 PM
North London
Pro Member

Well, it's interesting you say that.

When it arrived it clearly hadn't been used for a while, and the battery in the remote unit was nearly dead. If it had been totally dead that wouldn't have been a problem. But nearly dead means the trolley reponds to about one button press in ten.

So, pressing the 'go' button doesn't work the first few times, and then suddenly the trolley starts moving forward. Then, the 'stop' button doesn't work and neither do the steering buttons.

I haven't read the small print but I'm guessing that the warranty is invalidated if the trolley ends up submerged in a water hazard so it's a good thing I can run faster than the trolley.

#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:16:32 PM
Handicap: 28
Middlesex
Pro Member

Steve, don't end up in the pond with the trolley ! Lots of water hazards, I think, at The Hertfordshire, it will be a good test for your new acquisition.
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 2:23:30 PM
North London
Pro Member

Here's an update regarding the customer service for which Stewart Golf do not have a great repuation.

The X5 developed a grinding noise from one of the motors to accompany the squeaky noises from the handle so I sent it to them for a service, which they do for about £90 most of which is carriage.

They sent it back without having fixed either of the problems I sent in in for and the next round of golf I played it stopped working completely. All four lights were lit and the manual says if that happens to contact Stewart Golf immediately. So I emailed them on Thursday and I'm still waiting for a response.

To be continued.

#7 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 5:03:23 PM
North London
Pro Member

They finally replied a week later, after two chases.

They took the trolley back in at their cost to have a look. Fair play to them. The next thing I heard was an email from the courier company saying it's been delivered back. I asked Stewart Golf what was happening, no reply, asked again, and got a 2 line email saying they couldn't find a fault.

The squeaks and grinds still havent been fixed.

I'm pretty sure I have found the problem - a loose connection to the battery. The trolley did 18 holes at North Weald yesterday without problems. I sound like I'm carting about a family of starlings in a bucket of bolts but it is moving.

It's a really great trolley, it's a pity their service & communication are so poor. I'm pleased I didn't blow £1k on a new one.