Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - SkyCaddie Linx review

SkyCaddie Linx review Options
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 6, 2014 2:40:14 PM
Handicap: 12
North London
Pro Member

I will post a full review in a few days but in case anyone is thinking about buying one: don't. Not yet anyway.

The linx was released a few days ago, it's the new version of the skycaddie GPS watch. Unlike the watch it uses the "Intelligreen" feature of other skycaddie devices to give accurate distances to the front, back and middle of the gree from your angle of approach. Most devices just give yardages to fixed points on the green which is useless once you get close, unless your approach is straight in.

The release has been delayed several times prompting rumours of difficulties with the device. Whether those rumours are true I have no idea but one thing I do know is that my linx, which arrived the day before the TSG open, doesn't work.

Firstly you have to download an app to your smartphone called SkyGolf 360. This might be the worst presented application I've ever seen and there is some pretty stiff competition in that category. As well as looking horrible, and being almost unbelievably slow, it also completey fails to sync course data to the phone which is the whole point of downloading it. After a long conversation with skycaddie support and several reinstalls I gave up and sync'd to my PC.

But this isn't the main problem. The main problem is that it will not charge up. It arrived with a reported 50% charge which went down to 10% very quickly considering I was not using any GPS mode. I charged it overnight and it reached 40%. This got me to the 12th hole at the TSG open before it died.

I charged it overnight again last night, having performed a full reset on the instructions of skygolf support and after more than 12 hours it's reached 70% and isn't budging.

#2 Posted : Saturday, July 26, 2014 2:57:45 PM
North London
Pro Member

Here's an update. After 20 minutes on hold I got a support representative who was pretty capable and agreed to send out a replacement. The replacement didn't arrive for two weeks.

Plugging the new one in, it looks like the charging fault is not there but the first software update caused it to freeze. Skygolf 1st line  support is useless, they are not English speakers. Second line tried to take control of my PC which I would not allow and eventually told me I would have to phone UK support for a replacement.

Again.

#3 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:09:59 PM
Handicap: 19
Essex
Pro Member

Hi Steve,

This sounds like a complete nightmare .... did you look into the 'Aire' during your research?

www.direct-golf.co.uk/go...ire_golf_gps/p15704.aspx

I saw one last week for the first time and liked its simplicity. However, slightly put off by your expereince of their customer service.

Keep me posted.

Ian
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:19:54 PM
North London
Pro Member

Ian Mullins wrote:
did you look into the 'Aire' during your research?

No, I was specifically after a watch, and I wanted one that gave me proper disctances to the green from the angle I'm approaching, not just fixed points at the front and back which are only accurate if you're coming straight in. (I don't come straight in often.)

The other option was a Garmin Approach S4. I got the Linx because it's less expensive, does not have a touch screen which I don't like on watches, and has big chunky buttons you can operate with your gloved hand.

I haven't got around to actually discussing the performance of the Linx yet but it is absolutely superb in terms of accuracy - tested against a Bushnell Tour v3 rangefinder - and really easy to use. It's shown up substantial errors in the iPhone app I've been using to date. Eventually I will give it a glowing review, assuming I get one that works one day.

#5 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:20:21 PM
North London
Pro Member

Finally I have a linx that works. Skycaddie UK have a new batch in which have been updated and seem to be less prone to trouble. If you're going to buy one, go directly to skycaddie UK to make sure you're getting one of the new ones.

The watch is really good. It is super-accurate. I've done numerous tests getting people to stand at the front and back of the green and using a Bushnell range finder to compare the linx data with reality and it's never more than 2 yards out, and is usually spot on. The rangefinder is only accurate to 1 yard so you can't ask for more.

Until now I've been using the Golfshot app on my iphone and I've been astonished to discover as a result of these tests that it's quite often out by 12 yards.  That might be for two reasons: the app relies on the gps in your phone which might not be accurate. Secondly, the measurements are made by somebody clicking a mouse on a satellite image of the course. Skycaddie actually send survey-grade GPS kits round every course, mapping the edge of every green and hazard.

The interface on the watch is good, the buttons are chunky and can be operated with a gloved hand easily.

Downsides: the skycaddie iphone app is dreadful. The website isn't much better. The auto-hole-advance feature kicks in too early and means that when you enter your score you have to go back a hole and then manually go forward again. The battery does not last anything like the 8 hours they claim: I was down to 20% after 4 hrs 20 mins.

These are minor niggles. If you're going to get a GPS watch the main thing you want is realiable numbers and it certainly delivers that.