Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - The 'cancel me' button

The 'cancel me' button Options
#1 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 12:34:10 PM
Handicap: 12
North London
Pro Member

I woke up this morning with a nasty cold and pulled out of the game I was supposed to be playing. But the 'cancel me' button which normally appears next to the 'change guests' and 'invite friends' button was not there. 

Is that a 'feature'? ;)

#2 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 12:51:16 PM
Handicap: 0
Essex
Pro Member

Hi Steve,

Good question......

Yes. The system is set up to discourage people from pulling out of the game at the last minute (on the day of the game). Thus forcing the 'said' player to do the organiser the courtesy of contacting him/her directly with a reasonable excuse (which in your case is genuine rather than bad manners). This gives the organiser the full picture before marking that player as a 'No Show'

In the early days of TSG (way back in 2010!) we had to protect the event oragnisers as best we could from this. Of course, the organiser then still has the ability to the delete the 'non attendee' himself, allowing anyone on the standby list the opportunity to join the game.

Hope that explains things.

Ian
The TSG Team
---------------------

#3 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 2:17:53 PM
North London
Pro Member

I did wonder if that was the case.

The problem is that if you don't have any way to contact the organiser except through this site (which was the case this morning) the lack of a cancel button actually removes one of the ways of communicating your absence. If the organiser is checking who to expect by looking at the list of attendees he or she might not get the message any other way. 

I totally get protecting game organisers but if I were organising a game that somebody wanted to pull out of I'd rather they had access to the cancel button.

Maybe some of the site's regular organisers have a view?

#4 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 3:28:10 PM
Handicap: 0
Essex
Pro Member

Hi Steve,

Happy to listen to the concensus and it will be easy to implement any change.....

#CommentsWelcome

Ian

#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:59:12 PM
Handicap: 19
Kent
Pro Member

As an organiser, I always share mobile numbers with players.  If any last minute changes, I would want to receive a text, or call in the first instance, as that is the quickest communication.

For any games at my club, it would not be a problem, as no green fees are paid up front.

However, for other games, where the organiser may have paid up front, or have someone on wait list, but no access to the site, by letting them know by text/phone, they can quickly let the waiting player know - with hopefully enough time of course.  If very last minute and no replacement possible, then the person cancelling should pay the green fee to the organiser.

#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2014 5:12:16 PM
North London
Pro Member

A lot of people on this site arrange games anyone can join. Not everyone is comfortable giving out their mobile numbers to total strangers ;)