Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Summer shoes...

Summer shoes... Options
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:52:53 AM
Handicap: 12
North London
Pro Member

Can somebody recommend a summer golf shoe, preferably spikeless, that is not waterproof?

Waterproof shoes are never really breathable unless they use gore tex and it seems only Ecco do gore tex shoes.

#2 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 9:42:42 PM
Handicap: 27
Middlesex
Pro Member

Hi Steve,

Have you looked at or tried Nike Summer Golf Shoes ?  Not sure if they are Gore-tex or not but Mr L. had one pair last year (black ones) , very pleased with comfort, style , convenience. etc. so he bought another pair (light brown) for his golfing trip to Brittany. I believe he does wear them in the Clubhouses too.... Shoes come with 2 pairs of different colour laces to match your golf  outfit & taste...
Hope it helps
Brigitte
#3 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2015 12:01:58 PM
Handicap: 18
Essex
Pro Member

Hi Steve,

I bought some lightweight Footjoy Street Shoes last year and love them.... see below

#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 1:28:03 PM
North London
Pro Member

I finally settled on Adidas Climacool Spikeless golf shoes.

They are brilliant. Most of the upper is a 'mesh' material which you can actually feel the breeze through. Very comfortable, very light, and very, very breathable. I went out in them yesterday in 28 degree heat and that ventilation is amazing. And they're only £60

In my search for the ultimate summer golf shoe I went first to the Ecco store in Covent Garden. Ecco do not sell shoes for less than £180 so I thought their summer shoes ought to be pretty special. They have a shoe which costs £220, made of leather from mouse-sized marsupials who only appear in leap years under a full moon, which were very nice but which had a full spike. I want spikeless.

I ordered a pair of Ecco Biom 2 spikeless in the same size and sent them back the next day. The beautiful 'golden bandicoot leather' uppers are let down by soles which are totally rigid.  It's like using plaits of Sophia Loren's hair to strap planks of wood to your feet.

On the upside Ecco include a pre-paid return sticker so it's really easy to send them back. I really don't like shopping for shoes online because the sizes vary so much, and indeed I had to buy three different sets of Climacools in different sizes before I got the right ones. I'm still waiting for a refund on one of those.

So, having spent £360, and been refunded £240 with another £60 to come I finally have summer golf shoes I like.

#5 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 4:05:58 PM
Handicap: 17
Hampshire
Pro Member

Steve, I'm looking for a summer shoe too and based on a quick Google, there appears to be lots of ecco's at £80 upwards ! Based on your experience I'll look at the Climacool's but regarding the sizes, which way are they erring towards ? bigger or smaller than you expected for any given size ? Thanks.
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2015 4:33:02 PM
North London
Pro Member

Hi Brian

I was specfically looking for a shoe that is not waterproof because my experience of "waterproof & breathable" materials is that they are not breathable at all unless they are GoreTex. If you don't mind a waterproof shoe there's loads to choose from.

I am normally a size 9.5. In Adidas I am always a size 10 (I have 2 pairs of adidas golf shoes now, the climacools and the Tour 360 ATVs for wetter conditions.) In the Eccos I was a size 9 in both the shoes I tried in the shop and the ones I ordered online.

One good thing about Ecco is that if you order from them direct they include a pre-paid returns sheet so you can send them back with no cost. I haven't found that at any normal golf retailer (if I had I would have ordered the Adidas from them) but I got no-quibble refunds from both the retailers I sent them back to.

I absolutely love the climacools. In this weather I'm wearing them whenever I'm outside, not just for golf.
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2015 10:58:59 AM
Handicap: 13
Grove Park

Hi Steve,

Like you I have adidas ATV Tour for wetter conditions. This summer im wearing the Adidas Adicross gripmore spikeless. They are so comfortable and highley recommended. Size wise i alway get a size bigger in adidas, they do come up a bit tighter.

Jon