Golf Forums - Handicap calculation error

Handicap calculation error Options
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 10:12:13 AM
Steve Rawlinson
Steve Rawlinson
Handicap: 12
North London
Pro Member

I entered a card for Crowlands which is 9 holes. The calculation deducted my full playing handicap (14) from the gross score (39) to reach a net score of 25. Oops.

The SSS is 32 so that's net 7 under over 9 holes. I wish. 

It's then reduced my handicap by 0.6 which is odd because that's not right for net -7 OR net zero

#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 12:22:47 PM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
Handicap: 0
UK
Pro Member

Hi Steve,

Sadly the TSG system is not set-up for 9 holes handicap calulations.....

Whilst a 9 hole card 'can be' used for handicap purposes, we would not recommend you include this in your scorecard history, as we would not see this as reflective of your game as a whole.(Local rule).

Obviously this open to debate but here at TSG HQ, we would rcommend you 'untick' this from your handicap tracking.

Happy golfing!

Ian & The TSG Team
-------------------------------

#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 12:37:36 PM
Steve Rawlinson
Steve Rawlinson
North London
Pro Member

Haha, well CONGU don't agree with you about being 'reflective of your game as a whole' because they allow handicap adjustments from 9 hole cards even when played on a 18 hole course. Are you sure that's not a convenient position to hold because the software doesn't cope? ;)

Anyway, I scored a 35 at Crowlands last week (+3 gross vs SSS) which would have brought my TSG handicap down quite a bit so I was entering a bunch of older cards to bring it up to date. You'll just have to cope with my banditry.

Anyone want a swindle? ;)
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 12:42:49 PM
Steve Rawlinson
Steve Rawlinson
North London
Pro Member

So in other news the tick box to include the card in the calculation is not available to be unticked on the card. Editing the card does not present the option to change that. And the 'handicap tracking' screen doesn't have that box ticked for that card, but it is still displaying a new h'cap.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 1:04:26 PM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
UK
Pro Member

On the contrary Steve, more than happy to have the code changed if we agreed with this policy but we don't.

Equally, CONGU don't agree with our system but we dont mind.

Ps Can't see where you have unticked the box in your handicap inclusion???

:O)

#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 1:13:09 PM
Steve Rawlinson
Steve Rawlinson
North London
Pro Member

That's the point, I can't untick it anywhere. I can tick and untick other cards in the 'handicap tracking' page but the tick box for that card is empty (ie. unticked) and greyed out. Despite being unticked it is causing an erroneous adjustment of my handicap.
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 1:40:47 PM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
UK
Pro Member

Hi Steve,

Please email us your login and password to theteam@thesocialgolfer.com and we'll investigate....

Regards

Ian
The TSG Team
---------------------

#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:30:54 PM
Richard Adinolf...
Richard Adinolfi
Handicap: 14
Pro Member

fight. fight. fight
#9 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 4:55:07 PM
Alan Haywood
Alan Haywood
Handicap: 18
Essex
Pro Member

It's my view that 9 hole...or for that matter, anything less than 18 holes should not be considered for handicapping purposes. Although the CONGO system makes allowances, the means of adjustment is full of holes, as its impossible to consider 'what might have beens'...too many variables. Just take one example...for many amateur players, tiredness plays a large part, so its grossly unfair to average out your game based on 9 holes, when you are feeling your best. I suggest a 'local', or TSG rule me implemented to reflect this.
#10 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 5:06:24 PM
Steve Rawlinson
Steve Rawlinson
North London
Pro Member

The thing about CONGU is that affiliated organisations can't choose which parts of the handicap calculation rules they will implement. Handicaps from different clubs are only comparable if the same rules are followed by everyone.

I don't care what TSG decides to do wrt it's handicaps, and of course comparisons between TSG member handicaps are still valid but we can hardly complain that TSG handica certificates are not accepted if we don't follow the same rules everyone else does.

Incidentally that 9-hole card should have increased my handicap (by GONGU rules). The TSG position is that it should not be counted at all. Fine. But it's actually reduced my handicap. So something's definitely not right.

#11 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 6:10:22 PM
Alan Haywood
Alan Haywood
Handicap: 18
Essex
Pro Member

The TSG is not affiliated to CONGU, It merely used their system of calculation. IMO, TSG handicaps are far more reliable than most club handicaps which, generally, only accept score cards from official club events. TSG accepts all cards, ergo, their handicap is a better reflection of their game, however a degree of honesty is required. Regardless of whether the score would have lowered your handicap Steve, it would be quite simple for someone to have a nightmare 9 holes, then give up, only to enter his card and have his handicap reduced...especially when a club comp is on the horizon...Yeah...there are people like that. I believe that provision is made for clubs to enact their own local rules, and IMO we should do just that.
#12 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2016 6:26:56 PM
Steve Rawlinson
Steve Rawlinson
North London
Pro Member

Alan Haywood wrote:
IMO, TSG handicaps are far more reliable than most club handicaps

If you score 9 over par (actually SSS) over a 9-hole course and your playing handicap is 18 you would expect one of two things to happen:

1. The score is ignored because we don't include 9-hole scores; OR
2. The handicap is not adjusted because 9-over on 9 holes is spot-on for an 18 h'cap.

What actually happened is that my handicap was reduced. That is definitely an error. If TSG wants to ignore 9-hole scores, fine, but actually ignore them don't adjust the handicap the wrong way.
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:36:08 PM
TheSocialGolfer
TheSocialGolfer
UK
Pro Member

Hi Steve,

Further to your email (thank you), we have now carried out our investigation and reviewed all your scorecards and think we understand
 why you had a problem....

We believe you recently added a course scorecard for 
Crowlands Heath based on the 9 hole course ONLY yourself, off the Yellows. This came following your decision to duplicate (double up) your card 9 hole card (off the whites) at the same course some weeks ago.

If you had chosen to enter the full 18 hole card, the TSG system, would have immediately amended your handicap based on you having only entered
 9 holes of play across the 18 hole course. Thus giving you 18 pts across 18 holes - resulting in a 0.1 increase. 

Which we think would be unfair.

As such, we have re-entered your 9 hole score on the 18 hole card BUT unticked the box - so it is not included in your handicap but this way you still have a record of your game.

With regards the "abbreviated" card you have entered (from a 
Matchplay game at Leatherhead GC), the system clearly states that if you chose the "abbreviated" option - that you would have to manually change your handicap for it to be included in your calculation.

However, in order to prevent any confusion in the future - I will discuss how we can 'flag' this to members better on this page - and/or add some code to automatically reject 9 hole only entries from an 18 hole card. Meaning no one has to untick the box.

Obviously, you are free to debate the merits of 9 hole handicap calculation with the rest of the members or with CONGU, but as we are NOT affiliated to them, I am not sure they would be interested.

We hope you can now continue to enjoy your TSG experience unabated and that you are now happy that your handicap is once again correct.

Kind Regards

Ian & The TSG Team