Golf Forums - Dorset Golf Tour 7th to 10th July 2017

Dorset Golf Tour 7th to 10th July 2017 Options
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2017 9:41:28 PM
Brigitte Lockwo...
Brigitte Lockwood
Handicap: 27
Middlesex
Pro Member

Fabulous 4 days of golf, lots of sun, plenty of fun.

Originally I wanted 2 mixed 4 balls but that proved very difficult due to many cancellations, so it was a mixed 4 instead.

A great get away in Dorset and the choice of courses was very good.  All very different  and offering plenty of distinct challenges.  A lovely evening in thriving Bournemouth Beach and a pleasant drink in a posh hotel near the sea front, parking can be awkward

Day 1: Dorset Golf & Country Club: 3 loops of 9, we played 1-18 which is Lakeland and Parkland.  It was my 2nd visit to the course and I thouroughy enjoyed it, the bunkers were visited many, many times as the fairways were extremely bouncy due to the dryness. Warm welcome and busy place but the course was not too  crowded when we played.
Breakfast was good value and well needed after a 2 hours drive from London.

Day 2: Isle of Purbeck Golf Course, again a 2nd visit to one of my favourite courses.  We use the ferry to crooss the bay as it saves many miles.  The views, the challenges are truly specatular, a must play course  if one is near Bournemouth.  The Trilby Tour will be there shortly,, so the course was extremely well presented.

Day 3: Meyrick Park: a discovery, a short course that will surprise you by its very challenging long and uphill Par 3s and Par 4s, situtated in the town of Bournemouth in a Public Park but run privately as a golf course for the last 5 years..  Again the fairways were rather dry but the greens were very well kept and receptive, A must play, at least once.

Day 4: Moors Valley: a true retreat, away from the Mading Crowd, and Monday was Millionaire's golf for the 2 of us.
A short course that allowed us to return a good score with some Pars and Birdies for a change.  Very friendly and highly recommended.

Our breaks was arranged by Golfbreaks.com, the choice an order of courses was mine, the Hotel was adequate but a little dated and it is better to take your evening meal in a different place but the location was good, easy walking distance to big hotel and nice bars and restaurants.

But during once of my round I have been recommended Dudsbury Golf Hotel & Spa.,so next time I am in Dorset, will cetainly try that one.

Will write a more complete review on Meyrick Park and Moors Valley, the other 2 courses have already been reviewed.... so watch out,,,,

Brigitte

#2 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 8:16:53 AM
Steve Duffy
Steve Duffy
Handicap: 23
West Sussex
Pro Member

I too was at this Dorset retreat for the weary golfer and must say that it was a great weekend. There was lovely, and because of the cancellation problems, very varied company, which actually made it all the more enjoyable. Great courses and I will say that if you like bunker play, the Dorset golf and country club is a must. 

A big thank you to Brigitte for organising and to whichever deity you prefer for the excellent weather. Roll on next time!
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 10:43:48 AM
Noirin Fitzgera...
Noirin Fitzgerald
Handicap: 26
Surrey
Pro Member

HI Brigitte, thanks for organising a great weekend - really enjoyed it and looking forward to the trip. Noirin