Crown Golf Partners

Golf Forums - Golf GPS : Which one ?

2 Pages <12
Golf GPS : Which one ? Options
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:31:32 PM
Handicap: 16
cheshire

I use the Skycaddie SGXw now, having previously owned a Skycaddie SG5 and SGX. These are the Rolls Royce of GPS units as they are mapped out by people walking the course with GPS gear on, not just estimated via Google Earth or similar. I find it difficult to play without one now.  For those doubting whether you should use one, think about why the pros have caddies with yardage books worked out through walking the course.  Why have a caddie with a distance book if there are yardage markers on the course?  I personally do not hit the middle of fairways often so like to know exact distances to hazards and greens thank you very much.
I am selling the SGX due to the upgrade to SGXw.  PM me for details.
#22 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:27:39 PM
Handicap: 28
Kent

Message was deleted by Moderator.
#23 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:59:32 PM
Handicap: 13
Essex

The one I use is the Garmin Approach S1 Watch - which gives distances to front, middle and back of the green.   It's very easy to see and use.....and I find it very useful.

Yes, many courses do have 150 yard markers - usually to middle of green (sometimes front - which is confusing), but the watch will tell me exactly how far - wherever I am.   Standing on the tee of a par 3, I know the distance wherever the tee box is and wherever the pin is placed, so I can decide which club to use.......whether I hit the right shot is another matter!

On a longer hole, if I am not within range of the green, I can decide to 'lay up' to about 100yds - again the watch helps here, but not many courses have yardage posts to assist with this.

Jack - you question how many of us hit exact yardages?   Well, the watch has a 'measure shot' mode - so on the rare occasion that I do hit that perfect drive/4-iron, etc, I'm able to measure how far the ball's gone by walking to it and checking my watch - check my yardages......you MUST agree that can be a good thing!   And it will also tell me the time!

The technology is there and will only improve...we all have a choice to use it.  I've often been asked distances by playing partners without GPS units.....maybe you'll ask one day?!!

#24 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2012 10:27:02 AM
Kent

Asking the distance to a point on the course,I hold my hands up and say yes I have done this on a very rare occassion,and that was to check the 150yard marker.
When your playing in a fourball and on say a par 3,normally a couple of guys have these GADGETS, and they compare yardages to the flag,usually in conversation for everyone to know.
Normally these are different,by a few yards,then the scorecard comes out and the dispute begins because this says something completely different as well.
Then I am left with a head full of numbers wondering how far the flag really is!!!!
 "WITHOUT HAVING TO ASK,ON MOST HOLES I AM TOLD ON THE TEE WHAT THE YARDAGE IS"
maybe a ruling should be brought in regarding keeping this information to yourself,so as not to confuse those  of us that dont use them. 
In match play you are penalised for asking your opponent what club he used,what about penalising the player that gives out GPS yardages?????
#25 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 3:08:45 PM
Kent

#26 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:36:55 AM
Kent